Q. I am noticing dark red or brown color in my semen for two weeks. Why?

I have a relatively very personal question. In the last few weeks (two weeks), I have noticed I have a little bit of either dark red or dark brown color in my semen. The liquid of the semen has a yellow color, but the jelly parts have dark red or dark brown. I am not sure why this is happening? I would hope I do not have any type of prostate cancer as I am only 32-year-old, but I also am not very active in intercourse (only a few times every two weeks). I am taking Multivitamin tablets. I do have normal blood pressure and blood sugar level. I got the first dose of the COVID vaccine one month ago. Kindly help me.

#

This is called hematospermia (blood in semen). It is not cancer. It is mostly inflammation of the prostate or seminal vesicles. Less frequent ejaculation can cause infection as semen stasis is there. Investigations required semen for culture and ultrasound of pelvis.

Treatment can be done by tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for two weeks.

Please follow up with the test results for further help.

|