HomeAnswersGeneral SurgeryhemorrhoidsCan conservative methods treat a thrombosed hemorrhoid?

Can you please let me know the treatment for thrombosed hemorrhoid?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Arvind Guru

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At August 1, 2017
Reviewed AtMay 25, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a male, and for the past two days, I have had pain and itching around the anus. The doctor checked and told me that it is a thrombosed hemorrhoid. Can you please let me know the treatment for this? Can it be solved by using conservative methods or do I need any surgery?

Thanks in advance.


Answered by Dr. Arvind Guru


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It would be best if you can upload the pictures of the problem before I can comment and recommend anything definitive and specific to you. If I assume that your doctor rightly diagnosed the problem as a thrombosed hemorrhoid, then I suggest you try doing the following:

  1. Conservative methods including Sitz bath that is, sitting in warm water till pain and swelling subside, then it decreases in size and forms a skin tag. Skin tags can be left as such or removed later on if they are bothersome.
  2. Surgery can be required if it is very badly prolapsed and gangrenous, which can be assessed only by examining it. So grossly speaking, if it is bearable, surgery might not be required urgently.

I hope that information helps you to decide the best option for yourself.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Arvind Guru
Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Surgery

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy