Q. My anal lining bulges out during defecation. Is it due to hemorrhoids or rectal prolapse?

Dr. Abdullah Omar Sultan
This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2021

I am a 29-year-old male with a weight of 55 kilograms and a height of five feet. I suffer from IBS. After going to the toilet, I have pain while defecating and after that, I have a burning sensation in the anus region for a day. Sometimes I have abdominal pain and I think of it as IBS. Before and after going toilet, my anal lining remains normal but during defecation, it bulges out and I am not sure whether these are hemorrhoids or mucosal rectal prolapse.

After defecation, I have a burning sensation in my anus and mild pain in my left side. I also suffer from constipation and I always strain while having a bowel movement. When I am anxious, I suffer from diarrhea and my stool remains liquid. If I am not anxious, I suffer from constipation. Already, I have excluded taking foods made of wheat as it causing more gas and pain. I have some improvement in IBS but still, I have occasional abdominal pain. Please help me. I want to know whether I have hemorrhoids or mucosal rectal prolapse. How to cure them?

#

Pain while defecation and a feeling of bulge occur mostly due to hemorrhoids and sometimes, it occurs in association with a spot of blood on the toilet seat. It is difficult to differentiate hemorrhoid and rectal prolapse. It needs an examination to be done by a surgeon and it is difficult to predict them with history alone. As you are young and healthy, it is unlikely to have a prolapse. Your abdominal pain occurs due to IBS and so you have intermittent diarrhea and constipation along with it. To get relief, you need to fix your bowel habits with more fibers. You can take a stool softener like Normacol one to two sachet a day till having soft stools. You need to treat IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) using psychological therapy and it helps to provide relief for diarrhea caused due to stress.

|