Q. My RDW-CV is 18. 2 and RDW-SD is 60. 5. Is there anything serious?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Published on Jun 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

I am a thyroid patient. Some time ago I went for blood test and found my RDW-CV 18.2 and RDW-SD 60.5. Just wanted to know if there is anything serious. My ultrasound report saying border-line hepatomegaly and mildly enlarged liver. My liver test shows alkaline phosphate value is 114 and albumin protein value is 5.6. Currently, I am taking Thyroxine.

#

I understand your concerns. But there is nothing to worry about. RDW (red blood cell distribution width) is used to determine the type of anemia, it indicates the average size of the red blood cells. Your values are a little bit above average but nothing to worry about. Alkaline phosphatase is a substance that increases if there is an obstruction in the biliary system, your value is within normal. Level of albumin is also within normal.

The hepatomegaly is most likely due to fatty changes that are most likely due to alcoholic liver disease or high blood cholesterol. I suggest that you perform complete lipid profile. Please tell me if you have any symptoms. In order to see how the thyroid condition is well controlled, please send me the last TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Thank you for the response. My TSH is in the normal range. Most of the time it feels the load on my heart and some time heaviness in my stomach.

#

I am glad to know that your TSH is within normal. Feeling load on your heart and heaviness in stomach, you have to do ECG and echocardiography in order to exclude any cause related to the heart. Please tell me more about this heaviness:

1. Since when you feel it?
  2. Is it episodic or is it continuous?
  3. What makes it worse or better? Is it related to meals or efforts?

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had fatty liver (due to being overweight: BMI - 28.1) 3 years ago. I do not consume alcohol. At that time the enzymes were 3-4 times elevated and had signs of fat in liver. Then I lost weight and my liver enzyme levels improved. In this last one year all my liver enzymes are normal. ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and attachments in detail. (attachments removed to protect patient identity) Please find my observations below. Having gone through your reports in detail, cirrhosis is unlikely as your most recent ultrasound done on 1st December 2014 sho...  Read Full

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full >>

Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is very important for the baby's brain growth as rightly said by you.¬†Therefore, it is imperative that we treat aggressively. Target TSH in the first trimester is 0.3 - 2.5 mIU/L and therefore the doctor did not change the treatment. I ho...  Read Full

Is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease life-threatening?

Query: Hello doctor, Hemoglobin: 14.3, platelets: 174000, SGOT: 38.9, SGPT: 65.0 and vitamin D: 23.6. All other reports are normal.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). This does not require any special treatment. I suggest you avoid painkillers, alcohol, and reduce weight if you are obese. I would also recommend you testing for hepatitis B and C. I hope it helps...  Read Full