Q. Can I have sex after 13 days of hernia surgery?

Published on Feb 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had hiatal hernia surgery and Nissen fundoplication 13 days ago. I did not have sex with my girlfriend for the past 13 days. Would it be fine to make love now? I know that having orgasm put some muscle tension over the abdomen. Will it cause any damage to the stitch?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you. I understand your concern.

• I would not recommend you to go for sex for at least four to six weeks after surgery. You may, however, go for foreplay that does not involve any vigorous pleasure activities.
  • I know this is disheartening, but that is for your good. Take care.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Could the position of sex be a problem? Or is the sexual tension itself the problem?

#

• I personally feel, if you go very slow, then that is the best. You should be down in any case.
  • Do not do any forceful or fast activity. There should be no jerk.

I feel shaky after hearing my surgery date. Is it due to Parkinson or anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old. I have suffered from GERD for a couple of years along with anxiety and depression, which some think is related to GERD or the opposite way round. I have taken Citalopram for about three years on and off. Seven months ago, I decided myself and finally did stop for goo...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have ovulation and period symptoms when on Depot?

Query: Hello doctor, My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, the...  Read Full »

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full »