Q. I have HSV 2 infection. Will it spread by kissing?

Dr. Shama Naaz
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2020

I have HSV 2 and I had an outbreak during pregnancy. I want to start dating again. I want to know whether it can spread by kissing.

#

Infections with herpes virus can occur due to HSV-1 (herpes simplex virus type 1) or HSV-2 (herpes simplex virus type 2). HSV 1 is mainly transmitted by oral to oral contact causing infection in and around the mouth and it is also transmitted through orogenital contact to cause infection over genital areas. HSV -2 is almost exclusively transmitted through genital to genital contact during sex causing infection in the genital or anal area. Both oral and genital infections are asymptomatic, but it can cause painful blisters or ulcers at the site of infection.

People with symptoms of genital HSV infection should do HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) testing. HSV 2 is the most contagious infection that shows an outbreak of sores and it is transmitted through sexual intercourse. It is better to use protection. People with HSV-2 can experience repeated episodes of infection, so if you experience any burning along with the eruption of blisters, you should seek immediate medical attention.

| 

Are my flu-like symptoms due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, About 4 weeks ago, I got oral sex from a partner whose HIV status is unknown to me. I did only that with her. I always thought that it represented no risk of contamination to HIV. Now the thing is that about 1 week after that intercourse, I did a general blood test and found out that ...  Read Full »

Does herpes affect pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in a need to take steroids for IVF due to autoimmune issue. But, I have herpes 2. Will it affect my baby?  Read Full »

My son suspects to have genital herpes. Is it safe for my pregnant daughter to be near him?

Query: Hello doctor, My 26-year-old son suspects to have genital herpes. He had one outbreak of something in his genitals about six weeks ago but no other symptoms. He has not seen a doctor nor has he had any testing. He does not believe he has it. He is going to spend this weekend with his sister who is ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Venereologist Now