Q. My herpeSelect Elisa IgG score is 3. 3. Could it be false positive?

Published on Nov 10, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2019

I met with a girl a few months back. She had been rubbing her vagina and then put her finger in my backside. She said she was clean but hard to know. After about three months, I got tested for STD panel and came up negative with everything including HSV 2 except for HSV 1, which came up positive. However, the test used was herpeSelect Elisa IgG, which I read is known to have false positives. My score was 3.3. I read if the score is less than 3.5 then it could be a false positive.

A week later, I retested using herpeSelect immunoblot, which is supposed to be more accurate and tested negative for HSV 1 and 2. However, for the past three months, I am having itching in my backside, which could be due to sweat and anxiety. Do I have anything to worry about or trust the latest results that I have no herpes and put this to rest?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

1. The manifestation which you are saying are not of herpes, they normally present as grouped vesicles on an erythematous base.

2. Herpes has an incubation period of five days, it means symptoms would have to develop within five days of infection.

3. Your test are absolutely normal and you do not have to worry about it.

4. If you would have any vesicular eruption which is extremely painful, then you would have chances of herpes, so go for Tzanck smear and DFA (direct fluorescent antibody) test for it.

5. Always indulge yourself in safe sex practice because herpes genitalis caused by HSV 2 (herpes simplex virus) is an incurable condition.

Is my oral sore due to herpes infection?

Query: Hi doctor, Last week, I had a sore on the outside of my lower gum. My girlfriend, who is a dental assistant, told me that it is just a canker sore and it will go away. Now, I have one on the inside of the upper gum towards the roof of my mouth. If the second one is also a canker sore or is this som...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now