Q. Is there a chance of herpes infection to be transferred as gonorrhea during intercourse?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I recently was tested during my last gynecologist appointment that I was positive for gonorrhea and have since got treated. Now I have realized that my previous sexual partner gave me gonorrhea. He had herpes 1 and did not test positive for gonorrhea. My sexual partner before that have tested negative for everything. I am wondering would his herpes 1 infection would be transferred to me as a gonorrhea infection? And can herpes 1 be detected through a vaginal swab STD test or would I have to get blood work done?

#

I have gone through your case. First, you need to understand that any infection is transmitted as it is. No infection can be transferred as another infection. So answer to your first question is no it is not possible for herpes 1 infection to be transferred as gonorrhea.And for your second question yes you can undergo blood test evaluation as well for herpes confirmation.

Get the following test done.

IgM and IgG (immunoglobulin M and G) for HSV1 and HSV2 (herpes simplex virus).

| 
1 out of 1 likes

How do oral herpes sore look?

Query: Hi doctor, Last week, I had a sore on the outside of my lower gum. My girlfriend, who is a dental assistant, told me that it is just a canker sore and it will go away. Now, I have one on the inside of the upper gum towards the roof of my mouth. If the second one is also a canker sore or is this som...  Read Full »

I am having cold after sexual intercourse. Should I get tested for HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old boy. Recently, I had sex with a lady. We are working together, and two weeks before only her visa got renewed. While the visa stamping time, they check all procedures and tests. About her, she is divorced and separated before one year back. Since one year she lived ...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»