Common "Insect Bite" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Insect Bite

Lacerations or puncture wound made by an insect is called an insect bite. When insects bite, most of them inject formic acid into the skin, which results in blisters, swelling, pain, redness, and irritation. The common insects that bite humans are bedbugs, ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, and gnats.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My husband is having burning red blisters on the back side of the body and beside his nipple. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,My husband is having some red blisters on the right back side of the body and beside his right nipple for three days. He is having a mild burning sensation when the cloth touches these blisters or rashes. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your case. I have two diagnoses in your case. Insect bite reaction, and herpes zoster. Insect bite reaction does not require any treatment, but you need to follow the treatment as early as possible. Kindly consult your doctor to discuss the sugge...  Read Full »

What should I do if my child is stung by a hornet?

Query: Hi doctor, My 5 year old daughter was stung by a hornet about four hours ago. She was fine shortly after, but after her bath, the area is red, swollen and hard about the size of a softball (at least) around it. It hurts and it is right under her butt cheek. So it hurts when she tries to even lift h...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Hornet bite may lead to swelling and pain, fever or infection. The redness and swelling which you have mentioned are due to the inflammation. In your case, swelling is large and it was not initially at the time of the bite and increased thereafter. This indicates an in...  Read Full »

Why are my lips swollen and what can be done for it?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 17 years. A part of my upper lip is swollen. There is no pain in it. What might be the cause for it?  Read Full »

Dr. Nanda Vivek Hasmukhbhai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The swelling of upper lip might be due to allergy, insect bite, or a small trauma. You can take anti-allergy medications to reduce the swelling. I suggest taking tablet Allegra (Fexofenadine) 120 mg has to be taken, one tablet in the morning and a half at night. The t...  Read Full »

Please suggest medications for pus-filled bumps due to insect bite.

Query: Hello doctor, Some insects bit me and I have got an infection because of scratching it and now my lower leg is completely filled with these bumps with pus in some of them. I have been prescribed antibiotics and allergy medication as well as an ointment. Is there anything else that could be done? It ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav

Answer: Hello, Welcome to IgE (immunoglobulin E) is raised, this indicates allergic infection or parasitic infection. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is raised so chronic infection. Is there fever? Stomachache? History of hives? Allergic dermatitis? Atopy? Aggravation factors? Insect bit...  Read Full »

I have an itchy bruise on the knee for a week due to insect bite. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Patient is a 59-year-old diabetic, having a rash on the knee probably insect bite from a bush. It is itchy and looks like a bruise. The rash is present for about a week. Patient is currently on Janumet 50/1g, Alkaline 24, and Spirulina capsules.  Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Answer: Hello, Welcome to From your history, it is unclear what your concern is. It would advise you to attach a photo to guide you better. Since you are a diabetic, there might be slow healing and that is why a suspected insect bite rash is persisting. You can apply Fusidic acid cream twice ...  Read Full »

My husband has red bumps with an itching sensation. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband has red bumps all over his body with an itching sensation. It seems like mosquito bites, but they spread all over the body. Kindly help. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to As per the history and images provided (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it is an insect bite reaction (IBR) due to bug bites. They appear as itchy, red to dry papules with increased itching sensation toward night time, most often acquired from...  Read Full »

My wife suddenly got blisters after an insect bite. How to treat them?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife suddenly got some blisters with clear liquid on her hand, neck, and cheeks from today morning. She was bitten by an insect in her neck around 10 o'clock yesterday night. She is having a burning sensation if she touches the blisters. Two of the blisters popped themself. Also, if ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Is there pain or fever? How many blisters would be there approximately? Are the blisters increasing? Is there itching? Kindly answer the questions so that I can give appropriate treatme...  Read Full »

I have a recurrent rash behind my ear. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a repeated rash behind my ear. I am pretty poor. So, doctors are not easy to come by. It just pops up sometimes.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have erythematous (red) papules (bumps) behind the ear. I can list a few possibilities: Papular eczema. Allergic contact dermatitis. Insect bite reaction. I would like to know: Is ...  Read Full »

A 2-year-old has red, itchy bumps due to mosquito bite. Does that mean she is allergic?

Query: Hello doctor,My 2-year-old daughter had been bitten by mosquitoes, and those areas are red and bumpy, and some have red rings around them. These bumps are itchy to her, and they look infected. Does that mean she is allergic and what can I do to help her?  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Asif

Answer: Hello, Welcome to This is the normal reaction to mosquito bites. Please wash with soap and water and apply Cortisone cream (Hydrocortisone) two times a day for three to five days. You can also give about half a teaspoon of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl) once a day as needed for itchin...  Read Full »

I would like to know whether the spot on my body is mole or melanoma?

Query: Hello doctor, I have attached a picture. I would like to know what is this spot?  Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the photo attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like an insect bite reaction or bruise. How long have you been having it? Are there any other sites involved? Is there any pain or itch associated? Are you on any medications cu...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.