Q. Why does my father have hiccups for the past six days?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020
My father is 77 years old. He has had episodes of hiccups before. Now for the past 6 days he is having hiccups. Earlier when he used to have hiccups, he used to have Ulgel A syrup and it would stop. But now he has been taking Rantac, Baclofen 10 mg, Perinorm, Ulgel A syrup and Mucaine Gel. Still his hiccups has not stopped and he has been having it for 6 days. Kindly advise.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Hello. I welcome you to icliniq.

I can understand how you are feeling about your father such condition. Well the treatment he is receiving is already more than enough. Baclofen and Perinorm are two medications which have effect on hiccups.

But it is required to establish the underlying cause for his persistent hiccups, before I or anybody can recommend a treatment. You should understand that hiccup can occur due to 50 plus causes, including inflammation of the Gastrointestinal tract, lung infections, diaphragm problem, pleurisy, cardiac ischemia and inflammation of the pancreas, liver, gall bladder, and so forth. The best way would be to investigate him further to rule out the cause as mentioned above.

But before recommending any further testing, it is essential that we should narrow down the list of differentials on close inquiry, and then suggest some target investigations to confirm the likely possibility. I hope you getting my point. Provide me with following information, I will be able to tell you the right investigations for him.

• Does he have abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal swelling, abdominal tenderness, or redness? did he loss weight? how about his appetite?
  • does he have chest pain, cough, difficulty in breathing, pain in chest on walking, or any prior heart or lung problem?
  • Does he smoke or take alcohol?
  • any urinary problem? blood from any orifices like mouth, anus or in urine?
  • does he have acidity or reflux or food regurgitation in the the food pipe? does he have difficulty in food intake like food get stuck in to his food pipe?

Let me know above findings, I will suggest you the investigations. They may be as simple as some blood tests, or may be a CT scan of the abdomen and chest or an invasive testing such as endoscopy/colonoscopy.

|