Q. Does the duration of fasting before a lipid profile affect the results?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I got some blood tests done, and it showed very high results. Should I be worried? My anxiety is very high. Please advise. I cannot sleep. The test says that I should have fasted for eight hours, but I did the test six hours after breakfast. I hope this may be the reason behind the high results. My blood pressure is 115/72 mm Hg, and my resting heartbeat is 56 beats per minute.

#

I will review the reports and will get back to you.

I just need to reconfirm for my peace of mind.

#

I saw the files you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's privacy). Usually, a lipid profile test is done with an overnight fast of eight hours, and a blood sample is given in the morning on an empty stomach to get an accurate result. But you mentioned that you gave the sample six hours after breakfast, which may be one reason for the higher values reflected in the test result.

My current medications are:

1) Ibuprofen.

2) Lansoprazole.

3) Steroid nasal spray.

#

Below is the report interpretation:

1) The liver function test (LFT) is normal.

2) The thyroid function test and Endocrine hormone testosterone is normal.

3) Vitamin B12 is just below the lower limit. This vitamin is mainly found in non-vegetarian food items. Therefore, adequate consumption of food rich in Vitamin B12 will restore the blood level. Also, active Vitamin B12 is normal.

4) For the Lipid profile, the value of each lipid type is above the upper limit range. This value indicates dyslipidemia. Since you mentioned that the sample was given six hours after breakfast, this may be a reason for higher values, whether triglycerides, total cholesterol, or non-HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol. Ideally, you should repeat the test to get a more appropriate result

Do you have any chronic medical conditions like diabetes mellitus, hypertension, hypothyroidism, etc., and taking regular medicine for the same? Do you have any previous lipid profile tests done?

I do not have diabetes or any other diseases. I am very fit and active and eat quite healthy. I had a blood test done five years ago, which was perfect. So I should not worry too much, then? I just took my blood pressure which is 115/68 mm Hg, and my resting heart rate is 59 beats per minute.

#

It is good to read that you are fit, active, and taking a healthy diet. Please continue with it. This value is high because you gave a sample six hours after breakfast. Do not worry; repeat the lipid profile test at the earliest to know the present lipid values. Also, you had the last test done five years ago, so this will also help you get your peace of mind. Your blood pressure and heart rate reading are normal.

Thank you so much. I was panicking that I was ill.

#

I am going to guide you on what next step you should take. First, repeat the lipid profile test at the earliest. This would help you to know:

1) The more accurate values of lipid types and if any lipid value is up or down, you can take necessary preventive measures to bring it to the normal range.

2) It will help distinguish and confirm whether the present lipid values are high due to incorrect timing of giving the sample.

3) You will get peace of mind.

You can share the report with me as well. Take care.

|