Q. What are the recommended measures to control high BP in a stroke patient?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2020

Hello doctor,

My father is 65 years old. He had a stroke (left thalamic ich) a few months back, but now his blood pressure remains very high which is 110/180-200. Presently he is taking Prazopress 2.5 1-1-1, Olmesan 40 1-0-1, and Cardobis 1-0-1. Please advise.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner


Welcome to icliniq.com.

If there is any acute stressful condition, tackle it. BP will be fine.

Measures to control BP (blood pressure):

1. Avoid smoking and other addictions.

2. Reduce salt intake in diet.

3. Reduce fatty foods, junk foods, and saturated fats.

4. Avoid stress and anxiety.

5. Do regular moderate intensity exercise such as brisk walk for 30 minutes. 6. Have proper night sleep, at least eight hours a day including at least six hours in the night (uninterrupted sleep).

7. Reduce weight even if weight is within the normal range.

8. Drink plenty of water.

9. Do deep breathing exercises and meditation.

Measure BP while you are totally relaxed, sit for five minutes in a quiet room without talking to anyone. Empty bowel and bladder before checking BP. Avoid tea, coffee 30 minutes before checking BP. Sit on the chair with feet on the ground, back supported, hand supported on a table, cuff at the position of heart. Check the BP and repeat it after five minutes again. Then check the BP in the other arm and repeat it after 5 minutes. During the entire period remain relax and quiet. Arm with higher BP readings is your exact blood pressure. You may take at least two or more readings and the average of readings is your actual BP. If these measures do not help then switch medicines. But before switching, have renal function tests and electrolytes done. If the tests are normal, and you are not allergic to components of the following medicines, then take tablet Amlodipine or Valsartan 10/160 mg in the morning or evening time. Measure BP daily as described above for two to three weeks. If it normalizes, continue the medicine, if not reconsult.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Lifestyle Modifications for Women's Health

Article Overview: Learn about simple lifestyle changes and healthy habits that can help a woman stay disease-free and enjoy life to the fullest. Read Article

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Fitness Expert

Women of today find it very difficult to juggle between their personal and professional life, especially if they are mothers. But, having two incomes at home has become a necessity rather than a luxury. Yes, it does feel very good to call oneself a working woman, but the working hours are taking a t...  Read Article

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Article Overview: You can reduce the ill effects of hypertension like heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease by making changes to your lifestyle. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Hypertension is defined as any of the following: Systolic pressure or upper value of blood pressure more than 140 mmHg. Diastolic pressure or lower value of blood pressure more than 90 mmHg. There is no substitute to drugs/medications to keep blood pressure levels under control in a hyper...  Read Article



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.