Q. Why does my blood sugar level go up even without doing anything?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 09, 2021

I have diabetes for 20 years. My recent Hba1c value is 6.4 percent. For few days, I have high fasting sugar readings around 140 to 180 mg/dL. I do not have any changes in my diet. Within an hour or two, it gets increased without doing anything. Before going to bed, I have a sugar level of 110 to 130 mg/dL. But in the morning, it is always more than 140 mg/dL. Please suggest. I am taking Metformin 1000 mcg twice a day.

#

Your sugar level is good with Hba1c (hemoglobinA1C) of 6.4 percent. Blood sugar goes up and down not only with meals but there are many others factors associated with it. It is often associated with other hormonal levels in the body. If you are stressed mentally or excited, your cortisol and catecholamines get increased and thus it leads to increased sugar levels in the body. After doing exercise, it gets decreased. Your eating habits do not cause it. Sleep plays an important role. Along with medications, I suggest you have intermittent fasting and take low carbohydrates with the least grains. Have a walk for 45 minutes daily.

|