Q. Why does my blood sugar level go up even without doing anything?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020
I have been a diabetic for about 20 years. My recent A1c is 6.4.
From last few days, I have been noticing that my fasting sugar readings are really high like 140-180. There have been no changes in the diet. Interestingly enough, within 1-2 hours it goes up by another 20 points without doing anything. Another strange thing is before I go to bed, it is in the range of 110-130, but in the morning it is always > 140. Please help me understand this strange phenomen. I am taking 1000mcg Metformin twice a day.  

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Hi Thanks for your query It’s good to see ur sugars are good with HBA1c 6.4. Blood sugars go up and down not only with meals but there are many other factors associated as well like other Harmon levels in the body. For example if ur stressed mentally or excited ur cortisol and catecholamines also increase and thus may lead to increase sugar levels as well Same way if u will do exercise it will decrease ur sugar as well as use of alcohol. May be ur eating habits didn’t change much but other factors have something to do with these levels. Sleep is also important. Along with medications I always advise for intermittent fasting and low carbohydrates with least grains. Exercise even if it’s just walking 45 minutes daily is beneficial Thanks

| 

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now