Q. My lymphocyte count increased by 1000 in eight days. What is wrong with me?

Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel
Published on May 24, 2018

My age is 27 years, my height is 5’4" and my weight is 65. I have trigeminal neuralgia for which I take Lyrica 75 mg during flareups. I recently had a blood test which indicated low vitamin D (6 ng/ml) for which doctor advised me to take D-rise 60,000 IU/week for eight weeks and then 60,000 IU/month for a year. In my CBC done last week, my ALC and my WBC were high that I had a test again eight days later in which the lymphocyte was increased again by 1000. Apart from this, I have pain in lower abdomen and my body keeps having hot and cold flashes. I also have pain in legs and arms and I do not feel hungry like I used to for the past one month.

Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Your increased WBC and lymphocytes, I could certainly relate it to your trigeminal neuralgia as this is an inflammation of a nerve which would rise WBC levels even if you are in recovery period with no symptoms. But, what I am concerned about is your appetite and abdominal pain and hot and cold flashes as these symptoms correlate with endocrinal dysfunction. So, we can be certain by doing thyroid function tests to see how it is going.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

My thyroid levels are normal in the test that I had on 6th.

Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

That excludes thyroid dysfunction and I do not see anything abnormal in your lab results except what is mentioned before. So, I doubt that there is an organic cause with you and my advice to you is to keep away from the following and see how it goes. Spicy food, alcohol, smoking, hot drinks especially caffeine, tight clothes, and finally stress.

I am concerned about a lump on the occipital area. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,About one week ago, I felt a tender lump in the occipital area of my head. It is pea sized and movable. It hurt only when I touch. It has not got any worse. In fact, it is better and less tender unless I touch it. When I had an appointment with my doctor, I was asked to give a blood sample...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lump in your occipital region may be a small lipoma. I would suggest waiting unless it is examined by your doctor. Regarding the abnormalities on your blood work, I would appreciate if you could share the absolute numbers. The percentage could be falsely elevated s...  Read Full

What could cause recurrent fever and body pain in a 13 year old?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is 13 years old and his weight is 46 kg. His WBC is 6000, lymphocyte is around 50% (checked thrice in the last two years), Hb is 11 g% and HbE trait. His overall health is fine, but he is getting recurrent fever attack of around four to five times in a year with severe body pain. P...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: HbE trait with 11 g% hemoglobin is good and well maintained. His white blood cell count is normal and lymphocytes are mildly increased. There is nothing to suggest any particular cause. Recurrent infection could be due to low...  Read Full

Kindly clarify the results of my CBC report.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38-year-old male. I have a question about my CBC report. My lymphocytes are high with 65 %. My neutrophil levels are low. My total WBC is 3200 WBC per microliter of blood. I have these levels remaining the same for about two years. I have constant body pain. I am very weak, and I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your lymphocyte count is elevated. As the condition sustains the same for the past two years, you might need investigations like flow cytometry or bone marrow aspiration study to be don...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now