Q. Why are my WBC, RBC and monocytes low?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on May 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have some red and purple dots on my stomach and hand. I have been sick for a long time and I lost my weight. My immune system is really bad. I had my blood test done and the result shows that the white blood cells are low at 3.9 and the red blood cells are 3.7. Also, my absolute monocytes are low. I have unknown bruising, bleeding gums, fatigue, throwing up feeling, loss of appetite and weight. What could this be? Please suggest me.

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Looking at the various counts, WBC (white blood cells) count is just around normal.
  • While the RBC - red blood cells seems to be affected and based on the symptoms, it appears platelets could be affected.
  • As the platelet count and total hemoglobin are important, please attach the report.
  • However, looking at the red petechiae on the stomach and similar symptoms elsewhere, platelet could be affected.
  • Main cause could be nutrition. If all the cell lines are affected, then vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency leading to a condition called as pancytopenia secondary to megaloblastic anemia is strongly suspected.
  • You need to improve nutrition and start on supplements, so I suggest you nutritional supplements or diet rich in vitamin B12 and folic acid is necessary. Also add iron, vitamin C along with a protein rich diet.
  • Need not worry about absolute monocytes, as one cell increases, the other cells will reduce and monocyte is not a major WBC, we are worried about. Fatigue and other symptoms are due to anemia and recurrent infections.
  • Repeat the tests after three months. At present I am not suspecting any vasculitis or any other immunodeficiency disorders as you are coming out of infections successfully.

Nutritional improvement like vitamin B12, folic acid, iron, vitamin C and protein rich diet

For further information consult a hematologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

Why is my WBC count high?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 66 year old female. I am suffering from hypertension and diabetes since 20 years. I have got an implemented stent a month ago. I am taking medicines for the all above I have mentioned. In my recent blood count, my WBC is 70000. Why?  Read Full »

How can viatmin D level be increased in a woman?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 33 years old married woman with a kid, working. Recently, took a health check-up and found that my vitamin D levels are very low 5.24 ng/ml, vitamin B12 332 pg/ml. Every now and then I have stiffness in my neck and uneasiness in my knees. Can you please suggest me vitamin D suppl...  Read Full »

What medicines can be given to a 4-year-old child to treat occult sepsis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old daughter who weighs 13.5 kg is having fever ranging from 100 to 102 degrees Fahrenheit since three to four days. Syrup Calpol 250 works only for one to two hours max, after which fever spikes. We gave Meftal syrup too, which works maximum for three hrs. We did a CCB and ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now