Q. My grandmother has a platelet count of 10,000. Will she be alright?

Dr. Smrita Singh

My grandmother is having a platelet count of 10,000. She is currently on her blood pressure medication. Of note, at the age of 52, she was operated for severe menstrual bleeding. However, there is no sign of cancer in our whole family. Today is her transfusion. Will she be alright? I have attached lab test results for your reference.

#

• I have viewed the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) apart from a punched out lesion on the skull. There seems to be no abnormality.
  • Generally, a lytic lesion in the bones of an elderly person would raise the suspicion of multiple myeloma
  • Your grandma has been worked up for multiple myeloma and the tests were normal. Given the test results, she should improve with the transfusion
  • I am sure your treating doctor will make the best efforts to prevent any adverse outcomes.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|