Q. My platelet count is high. What could be the reason?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2022

Can you please help me understand my test results? My platelet count is at 1314, and my doctors are unable to give me a specific reason for it.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

Let me tell you that you have a high platelet count in your CBC (complete blood count) report. The cause can be primary or secondary reactive. Sometimes following infections, post hemorrhage, iron deficiency anemia, inflammation, etc., because of IL6 release, a reactive high platelet count can be present. According to the cause, further specific treatment can be given.

Your work up to be done as follow:

1. Physical examination including liver, spleen, and lymph node palpation.
  2. CBC.
  3. Peripheral smear examination. You can repeat the smear after a week.

If your platelet count is persistently elevated, then a further work-up is needed with bone marrow or other suitable investigations.

Take care. Consult your physician for an examination keeping these points in mind.

I hope your concern is solved.

|