Q. Does high prolactin hamper conception?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 13, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been trying to conceive for last one year. Examination showed high thyroid and prolactin levels. My doctor put me on Thyronorm 25 and Cabergoline 0.5. My thyroid levels became normal but my prolactin levels came down to 35.06 from 55 after three months. Recent blood test showed 37.34 of prolactin. I am experiencing breast pain. Which food should I avoid? What should I do to get this under control?

#

• High prolactin level may be due to stress or usage of multiple drugs. Are you under any other medication?
  • As your prolactin level is responding to Cabergoline, you may need to increase the dose to get your prolactin under control.

Revert back with the answer for the above question to an infertility specialist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

I am not taking any drugs except Thyronorm 25. I have heard Cabergoline has side effects and I should not try to conceive while taking it. Is it true? All my reports are normal except prolactin. Is it hampering my pregnancy?

#

• Yes, high level of prolactin may hamper conception. As soon as conception is confirmed, you may stop taking it.
  • Alternatively, you can wait till prolactin level is normal and then try for pregnancy. You should continue Cabergoline for this.
  • Have you done other tests like your fasting blood sugar, Hb (hemoglobin), TC (total count), DC (differential count) levels, ultrasound of pelvis and husband’s semen analysis? If all these are normal then HSG x-ray (hysterosalpingogram) to see the tube patency for fertility but this you can do after six months of treatment.
  • There is no specific food that you avoid except fenugreek. Relaxation techniques should be performed and avoid wearing very tight bra. High prolactin is a common thing. So, do not stress yourself about this.

For further information consult an infertility specialist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|