Q. How to normalize my high triglycerides?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My triglycerides are 296. Should I take some medicine to normalize it.? My total cholesterol is 183.

#

I suggest you take tablet Atorva (Atorvastatin) 20 mg once daily at night time before sleep for two months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

Some patients do complain of myalgia after using this dose.

If you find any kind of body pains after starting this, you need to take 10 mg tablet once daily.

Diet management and regular physical exercise should be continued along with medication.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Is it required to take medicine or if physical exercise alone is fine? Are high triglycerides dangerous? Are mine is too high or are they fine? Are there any side effects of the medicine in future?

#

As per guidelines stated, people who are at risk of hypertension, diabetes, or any familial hypercholesterolemia or any other factors like smoking alcohol etc. can definitely start using the medication along with regular physical exercise.

You need at least one hour of brisk walking or exercise to help to reduce the cholesterol levels.

Triglycerides are a basic form of cholesterol which synthesizes bad LDL (low-density lipoprotein) and VLDL (very-low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol.

If you do not have any risk factors and if do not have a sedentary lifestyle then you can concentrate on diet management and physical exercise.

Are there any side effects of medicine in the future? After two months, is there a need to continue if the level is normal?

#

There are no noticeable side effects registered exceptmyalgias.

You can use for two months and repeat fasting lipid profile.

Based on that, you can decide whether to continue or need to stop the medication.

It is not necessary to continue for life long without any risk factors.

|