High Vitamin B12

How can I reduce my vitamin B12 level to help my sleep cycle?

Query: Hello doctor, I was taking a supplement with alpha lipoic acid, carnosine, and B complex. On 19th May, I started having problems with sleeping, and the duration was much shorter or fragmented. I stopped taking the supplement on 21st May. Blood tests showed that B12 levels were high at 1430. Folic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since it is not in English, I do not understand completely but somehow I manage to understand the reports. All are normal. Yes, you ...  Read Full »

What does my blood test reports suggest?

Query: Hello ! Can you please review my blood test? My concern are low level of ferritin, high level of B12 and Urine WBC is very high.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to the icliniq Following is my opinion for your asked question. The low ferritn , Low Mcv could be suggestive of early iron deficiency anemia. The common cause for high B12 include supplement intake , Liver disease or Kidney disease. Your liver & kidney profile reports are norm...  Read Full »

Why do I get elevated levels of vitamin B12 and testosterone?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43-year-old female. I take 20 mg Trintellex, as well as bio-identical progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, and thyroid. I take a sublingual methyl B-12 as well as zinc, P5P, magnesium, Vitamin D, Glutathione and Borage oil. I received bloodworm back today with troubling results...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do understand that your blood levels of both make and female hormones are elevated but most likely they are due to exogenous consumption. I was wondering as to why were you taking these hormones?  Read Full »

My blood test showed vitamin B12 level as six times higher than normal. What could be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a blood test and was found to have a B12 content nearly six times higher than 10 months ago of about 1700. I have been taking B12 supplements for about six months, which I have now stopped. Could the supplement (2000 mg/day) be the cause of the hike or is there an under...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. The very common cause for elevated B 12 is the B 12 supplement or injection intake. So in your case, high B 12 might be due to B 12 supplement intake. Hence it is advisable to stop B 12 supplement now. However, other causes also should be screened like myeloproli...  Read Full »

I am a vegan and have anemia. Why is my B12 level so high?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been a vegetarian for over two years, and a vegan for about three months. I had my bloodwork done this past week, and the numbers were confusing. I have had anemia in the past, and it was thought to be due to my ulcer, which I take over the counter medicine (which I was told now to...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and below is my advice. The peptic ulcer can lead to minor bleeding in the intestinal tract and so anemia can develop due to it. For ulcer healing, Rabeprazole like antacid can be prescribed for 2 to 4 weeks. Stool routine micro examination...  Read Full »

Can you please explain the reason for elevated eosinophil, WBC and vitamin B12 levels?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I did a full blood workup, and my eosinophil count, WBC, and B12 levels are high. I am a chronic sufferer of pouchitis. My creatinine and Bun levels are normal, like all other levels. I often take many supplements daily. Can you please help me? I am scared.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your B12 level can be high due to an intake of many supplements that contains B12 within it. Your eosinophil count can be considered very high. Usually, it is elevated in the case of al...  Read Full »

What is the reason for having raised vitamin B12 and SGOT?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old male. I have a B12 level of 1800 pg/mL and SGOT of 80 U/L. My SGOT level is within range. I have never taken B12 supplements. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not be scared. Repeat the tests soon. A raised B12 can happen due to laboratory error. Even after that, if you have SGOT (aspartate transaminase) above SGPT (alanine transaminase), you should do a USG (ultrasound) abdomen. A raised SGOT above SGPT of about 2:1 ratio ...  Read Full »

What can be done to reduce high vitamin B12 level?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking Vitamin B medication for over one year and my Vitamin B12 level is very high, greater than 2000. What should I do to reduce the level? I am 27 years female. Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin. It means any excess of Vitamin B12 in the body shall be flushed out in urine. So just stop taking further vitamin supplements and the B12 level shall normalize. You can repeat the test after one month.   Read Full »

I have lack of concentration, memory problems and negative thoughts. Please help

Query: Hello doctor, I have symptoms related to the mind and body. I have no clarity in thinking. I cannot make any decisions. Even if I do, the moment I make the decision, I get negative thoughts and a sudden jerk in my mind with a sensation of fear. Also, I have on and off memory issues. It appears fine ...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.I read your query with keen interest and understand your concerns. Regarding the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I like to comment on the following things. Your vitamin B12 deficiency is corrected. There is excessive vitamin B12 in yo...  Read Full »

What can be the cause for high B12 level in a person with MTHFR mutation?

Query: Hello doctor, I have genetic mutation MTHFR. I am on thyroid for hypothyroidism. My B12 level is 1476, the normal range is between 138 to 652 pmol/L. How can I lower my B12 level? Is this level a cause for concern? All the other blood levels are normal other than WBC which is at 3.4 and neutrophils...  Read Full »

Dr. Elina Angelova Beleva

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is essential to know the primary reason for vitamin B12 testing. Was it done due to any complaints that could be related to anemia like fatigue, malaise, or any other symptoms that could be related to thrombotic complications possibly due to the inherited MTHFR ...  Read Full »