Q. Why do I have elevated vitamin B12 and SGOT?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

I am 33 years old male. I have a B12 level of 1800 pg/mL and SGOT of 80 U/L. My SGOT level is within range. I have never taken B12 supplements. Please suggest.

#

Do not be scared. Repeat the tests soon. A raised B12 can happen due to laboratory error. Even after that, if you have SGOT (aspartate transaminase) above SGPT (alanine transaminase), you should do a USG (ultrasound) abdomen. A raised SGOT above SGPT of about 2:1 ratio suggests an alcoholic liver disease. I do not know about your drinking habits.

A chronically elevated SGOT above SGPT can also occur due to nonhepatic causes like hypothyroidism and in some myopathies (muscle illness). You should get your tests repeated along with serum TSH levels, complete blood count and kidney function tests. Serum B12 is metabolized in the liver, and its excess is excreted through kidneys.

|