Q. Why do I have elevated vitamin B12 and SGOT?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
Published on Nov 22, 2018

I am 33 years old male. I have a B12 level of 1800 pg/mL and SGOT of 80 U/L. My SGOT level is within range. I have never taken B12 supplements. Please suggest.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

Do not be scared. Repeat the tests soon. A raised B12 can happen due to laboratory error. Even after that, if you have SGOT (aspartate transaminase) above SGPT (alanine transaminase), you should do a USG (ultrasound) abdomen. A raised SGOT above SGPT of about 2:1 ratio suggests an alcoholic liver disease. I do not know about your drinking habits.

A chronically elevated SGOT above SGPT can also occur due to nonhepatic causes like hypothyroidism and in some myopathies (muscle illness). You should get your tests repeated along with serum TSH levels, complete blood count and kidney function tests. Serum B12 is metabolized in the liver, and its excess is excreted through kidneys.

How does diet help in mental health conditions?

Query: Hi doctor, How does diet help in mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety? I would like to discuss the success of incorporating diet in mental health treatment.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Some research studies prove the role of diet in mental disorder mainly mood disorders like depression and anxiety disorders. In general, diets rich in proteins especially aromatic amino acid proteins, complex carbohydrates and low fats help to improve serotonergic neurot...  Read Full

Vitamin B12 Deficiency - One of the Leading Nutrient Deficiencies

Article Overview: Do you feel weak, tired, and short of breath? It can be signs of vitamin B12 deficiency. Learn about the symptoms, causes, and management. Read Article

Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin for humans because it plays a vital role in cell divisions and growth of the cell. Synonym of vitamin B12 is cobalamine derived from the content of cobalt. Symptoms of B12 Deficiency Vitamin B12 deficiency causes numbness and tingling sensation of both upper and...  Read Article

My platelet count, uric acid, SGOT, and SGPT are deranged. How can I be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old man and I weigh 115 Kg. My preventive health checkup results show the following irregularities: Mean platelet volume 12, CHCM 31.8, mean platelet volume at 12, total cholesterol 200.6, serum uric acid 7.8, globulin 3.7, SGOT 93.27, SGPT 213.87, and vitamin D tot...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will explain the above one by one. Your mean platelet volume is more and the CHCM (cell hemoglobin concentration mean) is low; however, it is not clinically significant what warrants treatment. Your SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (serum glut...  Read Full