Q. Why is my CBC showing increased eosinophil count?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma
Published on Dec 12, 2018

I took a CBC test a few days back. Is everything normal? My eosinophil count has increased from 3 to 6 and I am worried as the normal range is 1 to 6. Can you please get back to me on this and if it is fine? Absolute is slightly high but within range. Please let me know if everything is alright.

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

#

I have seen your complete blood count report and understood your query regarding about eosinophilia (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First of all your reports are normal and counts are also normal, no need to worry regarding this. Your absolute eosinophils count 480 is within the normal range, and of course, in percent form, it is higher normal levels up to 6 %. If we will talk about eosinophilia if more than 500 cells divide into three categories of mild, moderate and severe. It is called eosinophilic syndrome when it is more than 1500 cell for more than six months. If we talk common cause is a simple parasitic infection, any allergy like rhinitis or skin eczema, up to blood malignancy. So you do not have to worry as you said your eosinophils count has increased from 3 to 6 % until you have any symptoms like rashes, pruritis, breathing difficulties, diarrhea, arthralgia. Repeat your absolute eosinophils count after three months, or if you have any symptoms above, then contact me. Otherwise, it is not significant.

| 

Thank you so much.

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full »

Why do I have breathlessness while walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a normal healthy individual with a sedentary lifestyle. I weigh 67 kg and my height is 165 cm. I am experiencing some breathlessness of late when I walk. Hence, I am trying to understand if there is something wrong in me. My annual medical checkup (over the last 3 years) show my c...  Read Full »

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full »