Q. Kindly help me to figure out the reason for my pain and numbness in the hip region.

Dr. Lokesh

I am having pain and numbness in my hip region for six to seven months. I take cold showers in winter, wear tight trousers at night. I guess this is causing nerve compression and resulting in pain and numbness. I still do not know whether the pain is from the nerve or bone. I went to an orthopedist, and he made some x-rays which I have attached for your reference. He said I have nothing and suggested me put on weight as I am so thin and the pressure directly falls on my bones. He also gave me orthopedic soles to put in my shoes as he noticed my feet to be flat.

Could you help me figure out this issue? I can do jogging and running but cannot play soccer. The hurting feeling is in my right side, so I guess I have arthritis in my right hip joint.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

#

I have seen your x-rays (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), it does not show anything wrong with your pelvic bones or the lower back. This means there can be soft tissue or nerve problems.

Kindly answer the following questions to help you better;

1) Kindly explain the type of pain and location more specifically?

2) Do you get intense pain when you sleep on your right side?

3) Is your lower back pain radiating to the legs?

4) Where do you feel the numbness?

5) Do you have any chronic medical problems for which you take medications?

Thanks for the response.

That was reassuring. I thought I have arthritis or something.

The answers are as follow;

1) I cannot locate the pain precisely, but it is around my right hip, sometimes above my hip bone, sometimes in the back, and when I play soccer, the joint area is hurting so much.

2) The numbness happens at night in my right thigh, along with a burning sensation.

3) When I sleep on my right side, it feels like a pain coming from the bone, and then the numbness starts, and I switch positions immediately.

4) I do not take any other medicines except for the medication I shared with you in the first message.

Thanks.

#

Yes, I have seen the pictures you shared.

So, by the description, it seems like you have nerve impingement pain. I suggest you get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan of the lumbosacral spine region to locate the problem precisely. If the results are normal, the next option will be to do an MRI of the pelvis to look at the soft tissue pathology.

Kind regards.

|