Q. There was blood on my finger after a scuffle. Is this a risk for HIV?

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

I got in a scuffle. Near my fingernails, I saw blood. I am not sure if it was mine or the offenders. I have no deep wound. Just small marks from biting nails or from handcuffs. I am worried if the offender was infected with HIV and it was his blood. Any advice?

#

I have noted your concern.

HIV is only transmitted through a fresh, deep, and actively bleeding wound. A scratch or a paper cut would not provide direct access for the virus into the bloodstream. Regards.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

So even if I had small cuts near my nails that were not deep but had bled I should not worry. Is this what you are saying?

#

Yes. Only deep cuts/lacerations pose a threat as they provide direct access to the bloodstream. Superficial cuts do not pose a risk. Regards.

|