Q. Can exposure to pre-seminal fluid cause HIV?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Jun 14, 2018

I want to know if the pre-seminal fluid can infect HIV. I had an exposure. My anus was in contact with his fluid. One guy put his penis in my anus four or five times, no penetration but that fluid was present. I took an RNA HIV test 16 days after that exposure. It was negative. After 48 days, I took a fourth generation HIV test antibody/antigen. It was negative too. Is that conclusive? Do I need more tests?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

There are possibilities of transmission of HIV by pre-seminal fluid if the person is HIV positive. If negative, the chances are nil.

The two tests done are reliable and suggest you are free from HIV. But it would be better if you can go for HIV antibodies test after three months exposure to be totally free from anxiety. The chances of tests coming positive later are almost nil.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

After that exposure, he took an OraQuick test. It was negative, but maybe he was in the window period? He told me he is negative, I am very anxious.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

The chances are lesser than the normal intercourse but it is possible. Once he is negative, it is almost nil.

Moreover, your test results are also negative. You can relax.

Will existing semen in my tract slip out into the precum and cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner and I had unprotected sex twice within two hours. I did not ejaculate inside her both the times and she urinated immediately after sex both the times as well. Within an hour, she took an I-pill. My only concern is would my precum or any existing semen inside my tract would s...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If she has taken an I-pill within the next hour after the last intercourse, then there is no apparent need to be worried as this shall prevent any chances of pregnancy due to possible pre-cum ejaculation, considering that she is in her fertile period. An I-pill should ...  Read Full

Is it possible to have hairy leukoplakia three months after risky sexual activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male who discovered this lesion on my tongue by accident while brushing my teeth. It does not come off easily with the toothbrush. Actually, it does not, unless I apply significant force to remove it. It has been a month since I first discovered it and no other symp...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not appear to be hairy cell leukoplakia. It appears like a normal ulceration or papule only. I suggest applying Triamcinolone ointment over it twice daily and observe if it goes down. Eat a healthy diet rich in folic acid and all other vitamins. Take plenty o...  Read Full

Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Do not worry, I will solve your doubt. After around one year almost any test can rule out HIV conclusively. So rapid test is reliable and no need for further testing. But still, you have investigated with chemilumiscence test that gives re...  Read Full

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now