Q. Can exposure to pre-seminal fluid cause HIV?

Answered by
Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2023

Hello doctor,

I want to know if the pre-seminal fluid can infect HIV. I had an exposure. My anus was in contact with his fluid. One guy put his penis in my anus four or five times, no penetration but that fluid was present. I took an RNA HIV test 16 days after that exposure. It was negative. After 48 days, I took a fourth generation HIV test antibody/antigen. It was negative too. Is that conclusive? Do I need more tests?



Welcome to

There are possibilities of transmission of HIV by pre-seminal fluid if the person is HIV positive. If negative, the chances are nil. The two tests done are reliable and suggest you are free from HIV. But it would be better if you can go for HIV antibodies test after three months exposure to be totally free from anxiety. The chances of tests coming positive later are almost nil.

Thank you doctor,

After that exposure, he took an OraQuick test. It was negative, but maybe he was in the window period? He told me he is negative, I am very anxious.



Welcome back to

The chances are lesser than the normal intercourse but it is possible. Once he is negative, it is almost nil.

Moreover, your test results are also negative. You can relax.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is pregnancy possible when precum enters vagina indirectly?

Hello doctor, My finger had a drop of precum, and I touched my partner&rsquo ... Precum or pre-ejaculatory fluid also contains sperm to make a female pregnant ...   Read full

Can you get pregnant from precum if your hymen is still intact?

I am not sure whether the precum went inside or not ... Does the precum go inside in the cases of intact hymen ...   Read full

Can protected anal sex still lead to HIV?

Protected anal sex and fingering is safe and there is no risk of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) ... However, receiving unprotected oral sex carries a very low risk...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.