Q. Is eight days time enough to get through the window period after sex?

Published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

I had an encounter about a month ago and that have put me at risk of HIV. I was out of town for vacation and visited a doctor who prescribed me Truvada and Tivicay as PEP. I finished the 28 days regimen yesterday and tomorrow I have to go for the fourth generation test that has HIV-1 and 2 RNA antibodies testing at the local Planned Parenthood. Eight days back, I got HIV and STD tests done and they turned out to be negative. Does this time enough to get through the window period and see whether am I infected? And if not, how long should I wait after the PEP regimen to have the tests?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

• Wait for another one more week. Antibody usually becomes positive after three to four weeks of exposure and one more thing repeat the test after two more weeks in different laboratories to rule out any kind of possibilities.
  • As per guidelines, two tests from different laboratories at two weeks interval should be considered confirmatory.

Revert back after two weeks to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

Why do I have vaginal tears after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I had rough sex recently and it caused a tear in my vagina. When I use a mirror to examine myself I can see some of the cuts. It is near the entrance of my vaginal canal but not inside, positioned more towards my perineum. It has been healing for two days now and still really hurts. I...  Read Full »

Why do I feel pain and burning sensation during sexual intercourse?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. I feel pain and burning sensation during sexual intercourse. I can allow only 5 cm of penetration and it becomes more painful with pressure. Please help me.  Read Full »

I have an increased urge to urinate after sexual intercourse. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old girl. Two weeks before I had an intercourse. From that day I started feeling pain when I urinate. I felt it is normal due to friction. But now the problem is getting worse. Now I realize I do not urinate as before. I felt my bladder getting full. I have an urge to ...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now