Q. Is eight days time enough to get through the window period after sex?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

I had an encounter about a month ago and that have put me at risk of HIV. I was out of town for vacation and visited a doctor who prescribed me Truvada and Tivicay as PEP. I finished the 28 days regimen yesterday and tomorrow I have to go for the fourth generation test that has HIV-1 and 2 RNA antibodies testing at the local Planned Parenthood. Eight days back, I got HIV and STD tests done and they turned out to be negative. Does this time enough to get through the window period and see whether am I infected? And if not, how long should I wait after the PEP regimen to have the tests?

#

• Wait for another one more week. Antibody usually becomes positive after three to four weeks of exposure and one more thing repeat the test after two more weeks in different laboratories to rule out any kind of possibilities.
  • As per guidelines, two tests from different laboratories at two weeks interval should be considered confirmatory.

Revert back after two weeks to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|