Q. I am HLA-B27 positive with vitamin D deficiency and back pain. Will it affect my marriage life?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 29 year old female. I got married recently. I am HLA-B27 positive patient with vitamin D deficiency (less than 8%). These days, I am suffering from severe back and shoulder pain. Sometimes, there is a hip joint pain, and I am not able to sleep at night. Rarely, the pain remains throughout the day. What can I do to overcome this pain except for painkillers? I just searched a few articles on the internet and found that my backbone will slowly start bending and will look like a slouchy person. I am worried. Will it also affect my marriage life? Do I need to stop maintain physical relation with my husband? Please help me.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

• Your symptoms do match spondyloarthropathy. It is a sort of arthritis, usually common in males but 10% of the females can get affected. The severity is not so much in women, though.
  • Secondly, painkillers (I am not sure which you are taking) are a good drug to stop the disease. We do not overuse it due to the side effects, but for short course, we may need to give.
  • The other mandatory option is the daily exercise. A brisk walk to be done daily for 30 minutes followed by stretching in yoga (10 to 15 minutes).
  • Another drug that we can try is Sulfasalazine depending on the disease severity.
  • Thirdly, It will not affect your married life. You can continue to have physical relations based on your pain and ability to cope up.
  • I would suggest a few blood tests be done. Just get them to know the severity of inflammation.

1. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
2. CRP (C-reactive protein).
3. MRI of the sacroiliac joints.

1. Tablet Nucoxia (Etoricoxib) 90 mg once at night for 14 days.
2. Exercises.

Revert with the reports to a rheumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

| 

Please read my attached reports. My consulting doctor advised me to take calcium-rich diet, calcium tablet, 1-hour sunlight exposure and tablet Signoflam during pain. As I am a HLA-B27 positive, how can I reduce the pain? Do I need to take painkiller daily? Also, I am participating in a dance competition. Do I need to stop practising dance? Also, my backbone has been bent. How can I get it back to normal?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

I had gone through your prescription and MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your MRI did not cover the sacroiliac joints, which is the first thing we need To see in HLAB27 patients. So, I want you to get a repeat imaging for it.
  • Secondly, the pain in HLA-B27 is due to inflammation. So, the painkillers work in stopping the inflammation. The duration varies from patient to patient.
  • Girls usually have a milder variant of the disease. Sometimes, we use it continuously for 2 to 3 months and then when the inflammation comes down we make it on as necessary basis. If the pain comes after reducing the painkillers, then we add in the next medicine. That, we will know over time from your response.
  • You can participate in the dance competition. But, just make sure the pain is suppressed, or you can stretch the ligaments.

For further information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|