Q. Please suggest a treatment for the swelling in my lower eyelid.

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I got a swelling in the left lower eyelid as can be seen in the picture before four days. It is painful and the eye turned red. Since yesterday, I have been using Ciprofloxacin eye drops, but there is no relief. I got similar problem in my right lower eyelid a year back. Since, two months I am staying in hot climate. Also, I have mild dandruff. What is the diagnosis and treatment?

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I have gone through the pictures of your eyes (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is called an internal hordeolum, a kind of bacterial infection leading to an abscess. It is common in oily skin people.
  • Hordeolum will not resolve with eye drops alone. I suggest antibiotic tablets and hot fomentation twice a day for 5 days.
  • I suggest Doxycycline, which will be effective. You can consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Hot fomentation will relieve the pain. It will resolve in a week.

Revert back after a week to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|