Q. I am obese and my period flow is not proper. How to reduce my weight?

Dr. Abeer
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 05, 2019

I am 17 years old, and my weight is 98 kg. I am obese, and I need to lose weight. I feel lazy, sluggish, and sleepy all the time. I am on the second day of my period, and the flow is not proper. Kindly advice.

Dr. Abeer

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Your history prompts me to go through further questions. Do you have a regular menstrual cycle? Any hair growth on the face, arms which is unusual than before? Scanty periods can mean oligomenorrhea (the medical term for decreased blood flow). Weight gain, hair growth, and oligomenorrhea are typical symptoms of a condition called PCOD (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which happens in girls, and multiple cysts are present in ovaries, and this leads to these symptoms. Sugar level also gets high due to this. So I would suggest getting blood glucose level fasting done, and ultrasound abdominal to see ovaries as it is confirmed whether you have it or not as it leads to treatment strategy.

Cysts in ovaries, and oily food consumption.

Blood glucose, abdominal ultrasound.

Metabolic syndrome.

Polycystic ovarian syndrome.

After getting the reports.

Avoid oily food.

What is Obesity? Why People Become Over-Weight?

Article Overview: Obesity is a ‘silent epidemic’. This article tells about how to find if you have obesity and the reasons for it. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Who is Considered as An Obese Person? An Obese person is one who has too much body fat and thus has a negative effect on their health. A person is considered obese when they have a weight over 20% of their ideal body weight. On the other hand, one may consider body mass index. Body mass index, ...  Read Article

Can I have i-pill after unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old girl. I had unprotected sex. My last periods was before two months and still I have not got any. Is there a chance of pregnancy? I have had i-pill twice last year in a gap of 6 months. My periods are sometimes a day or two late. But, I am really worried as I really cann...  Read Full >>

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I totally understand your situation. Handling an unwanted pregnancy can be very stressful. As you had unprotected intercourse within the safe time of your cycle, it is very unlikely that you might be pregnant. If you still have a doubt then get a home pregnancy test k...  Read Full

I took two pregnancy tests. One was positive and the other negative. Can you help?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I amhyperthyroidand I havepolycystic ovaries. I had my period for just one day last month. It was very light. I, however, took two pregnancy tests two days ago. The first one read positive and the second, which was taken a few hours after read negative. Could you pleas...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thyroid disorder and polycystic ovaries, both can cause menstrual irregularity. They are also responsible for lighter periods. But, test once positive, cannot be ignored. I think you should get a TVS (transvaginal scan) done and a beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotr...  Read Full

Ask a Dietician Now