Q. I am obese and my period flow is not proper. How to reduce my weight?

Dr. Abeer
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 05, 2019

I am 17 years old, and my weight is 98 kg. I am obese, and I need to lose weight. I feel lazy, sluggish, and sleepy all the time. I am on the second day of my period, and the flow is not proper. Kindly advice.

#

Your history prompts me to go through further questions. Do you have a regular menstrual cycle? Any hair growth on the face, arms which is unusual than before? Scanty periods can mean oligomenorrhea (the medical term for decreased blood flow). Weight gain, hair growth, and oligomenorrhea are typical symptoms of a condition called PCOD (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which happens in girls, and multiple cysts are present in ovaries, and this leads to these symptoms. Sugar level also gets high due to this. So I would suggest getting blood glucose level fasting done, and ultrasound abdominal to see ovaries as it is confirmed whether you have it or not as it leads to treatment strategy.

Cysts in ovaries, and oily food consumption.

Blood glucose, abdominal ultrasound.

Metabolic syndrome.

Polycystic ovarian syndrome.

After getting the reports.

Avoid oily food.

|