Q. Can HPV be transmitted by kissing?

Dr. Shobhit Shah
Published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a few warts on my leg and a barely noticeable wart on my penis. My doctor said that they look like HPV. He advised me to apply antifungal and steroid cream and wear condoms. The cream was not very effective even after four days. Can it be something other than HPV? Will condoms prevent it from spreading it to a partner? Will it get transmitted by kissing?

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Internal Medicine
#

• The lesion on your leg can be due to HPV (human papillomavirus), but its probability is low.
  • Genital warts regress spontaneously within months or years, but, the guidelines recommend treatment because of the possibility of malignant transformation. I would suggest you the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start the medications after their consent.
  1. 0.5 % Podofilox solution should be applied twice daily for three consecutive days followed by four days of no therapy. This cycle should be repeated four times.
  2. Aldara (Imiquimod) 5% cream should be applied at bedtime, three times a week for 16 weeks. The area should be washed with soap and water after 6 to 11 hours of application.

For further query consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for your reply. I have attached some photos of the growth on my penis and leg, as I would like your opinion on them. The growth on my leg seems to aggravate by white vinegar, which returns to normal after an hour. I also wanted to ask if is it possible to have healthy children after HPV? I have read that HPV 6 and 11 cause warts, and usually, the immune system destroys the virus over time. Is it true? And is it possible to remove the tattoo on my leg?

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Internal Medicine
#

• You can have a healthy baby, as HPV cannot be transferred to the baby.
  • Most of your warts as seen in the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are small and clear. They can regress spontaneously even without treatment. They can grow for about six months and then stabilize.
  • HPV 6 and 11 virus replication can be tackled by our immune system, so they are likely to go away even without treatment.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How to prevent pregnancy other than using condoms and pills?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to get married in four months. We want to know whether there is any other way to avoid pregnancy other than using condoms or taking pills. I have seen somewhere on the internet that if we do intercourse for some particular period, then pregnancy can be avoided. Is it true? If ...  Read Full »

What is the soft, white, non-itchy lump in my penile shaft?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years sexually active gay male with one partner. Four weeks ago, I got a soft white color lump in my penile shaft which was not itchy or painful. Three days ago, I got another one with same features. I am worried about warts. Please help me.  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »