Q. I had intercourse with female sex worker and I am worried about HPV. What to do?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Nov 13, 2019

I am a 29-years-old male. I had intercourse with a female sex worker five years ago. Since then I do not have any sex with any one. Now I am getting married in a few months. So I took a pre-marital checkup and the result was nil and non-reactive for HIV, HSV 1 AND 2, HCV, HBS, chlamydia, and syphilis. But I am worried about HPV. I did not get any warts but still, I am afraid. Are there any risk of HPV related cancers for me or my partner?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have gone through your query. Presently there are no tests to confirm HPV (human papillomavirus) infection in males. Warts can develop even years after the infection is acquired, therefore it is never really possible to know whether you are infected or not unless you develop a clinically visible lesion. Since you never had any visible growths or warts on the genitalia during all these years, therefore, it is likely that you are free of infection and never even acquired it in the first instance.

Regarding the risk of cancer, only certain types of HPV (e.g) HPV type 6, 11, 16, and 18 are associated with an increased risk of cervical cancer in females, and not in males. In females, PAP (Papanicolaou) smear can be performed every year to look for any atypical cells. I think you can go ahead with your marriage without any fears at this time because there is no way you can even know whether you are infected or not.

Herpes - a Common STD

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the clinical presentation and treatment of herpes. Read Article

Herpes disease is caused by herpes simplex virus. The herpes simplex virus (HSV) is a double stranded DNA virus, infects humans alone and is almost ubiquitous. There are two closely related species of HSV, type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2). They cause primary as well as recurrent mucocutaneous infec...  Read Article

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full »

Can HPV in sexually active individual cause throat cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not show any signs or symptoms. Instead, I just want accurate information on the subject of HPV in a sexually active individual. I would like to know its role in throat cancer. Yes, I know it can cause it, but I would like to know more regarding numbers. Is it rare? What percent...  Read Full »

Ask a Venereologist Now