Q. Can low dose of human growth hormone lead to type 2 diabetes?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 03, 2020

I have prediabetes (5.8 fasting blood glucose). Can low doses of human growth hormone used for bodybuilding lead to type 2 diabetes? My mother has type 2 diabetes mellitus.

#

• 5.8 mg/dL of glucose is too low. Prediabetes is fasting blood glucose between 110 to 126 mg/dL and above it is frank diabetes.
  • Type 2 diabetes cannot be caused by small or large doses of human growth hormone.
  • Type 2 diabetes is autoimmune in nature and it is mostly genetic, but certain conditions like obesity, hypertension can lead to type 2 diabetes.
  • Prediabetes can be controlled with lifestyle modifications.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I would like to know the specific limits of HGH dosage and time? For example, if I take 16 IUS per week for 6 weeks, is that fine?

#

• FDA - Food and Drug Administration did not approve the use of growth hormone for muscle building purposes.
  • Some people use the growth hormone to build muscle and improve athletic performance. But, these claims are unproven.
  • If you have proven growth hormone deficiency, then you can use the HGH (human growth hormone) at the prescribed doses.
  • The dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your treating endocrinologist. At first, it is usually 0.005 milligram (mg) per kilogram (kg) (0.0023 mg per pound) of body weight injected under the skin once a day.
  • Your endocrinologist may increase the dose if needed. Added to these other endocrine hormones like thyroid hormones also to be in normal limits to get the proper growth of bones.
  • Thus, avoid growth hormone injection for just muscle building purpose.
  • Do exercise regularly and take healthy diet. It is one natural way to increase muscle mass.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|