Q. I have pus oozing lesion in my underarm. What can it be?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 41 year old female. I am obese. My weight is 89 kg and height is 5 feet 7 inches. Currently, I am taking Thyronorm 75 mcg and Storfib 145. Previously, I used to get lymph node enlargement in underarms and groin area, but they never become lesions. I have been having a pus oozing lesion in my underarm for the past 1.5 years. When I take antibiotic, it heals. But once I stop the medicine, it recurs. Earlier, I showed this lesion to a lady physician who suggested an ultrasound scan. Scan revealed a pocket of pus, but no changes in surrounding tissue. This lesion started, when I changed my deodorant once. My 14 year old son also has the same issue. He gets lesions in his underarms, sometimes heals and at other times pus leaks. I do not feel any thickness in my breasts in self-examination. I feel it is more dermatological. Please share your valuable opinion. Thank you.

#

• You might be suffering from hidradenitis suppurativa, skin disease that causes abscess and scarring which commonly affects sweat glands.
  • Are both underarms affected?
  • Please send good quality photographs for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment.

Revert back with the photographs to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Only one underarm is affected. I am attaching a photo for confirmation of this diagnosis.

#

I had a look at the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Clinically it is going in favor of hidradenitis suppurativa. It is infection of apocrine sweat glands and is very resistant to treatment. So, long-term medication is necessary.
  • Ultrasound was not needed in your case; instead deep punch biopsy would be confirmatory.
  • Nevertheless you can take the following medications:
  1. Apply Clindac-A gel (Clindamycin phosphate 1%) twice daily.
  2. Take capsule Dalcinex (Clindamycin) 300 mg twice daily.
  3. One hour before meals have capsule R-Cinex (combination of Isoniazid and Rifampicin) twice a day.
  4. Every day take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg half an hour before breakfast.
  • You may experience red urine after the medication and do not be fearful as it is perfectly normal after raking R-Cinex as it is a red dye and is excreted in urine.

Revert back for follow up after a month to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|