Q. Can Hydroquinone use on the penis cause the skin to be sensitive and red?

Answered by
Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

Eighteen months ago, I had a reconstructive surgery on my penis to treat penile curvature. Two weeks post operation, hematoma exploded so I got wound breakdown. Skin necrosis ensued and I lost a small part of my penile skin. No graft or flap was used. I now have hyperpigmentation and very noticeable wound scar. For the hyperpigmentation, I have been using Hydroquinone and Mederma Intense Patch. I have been using it for two weeks. There is an improvement but the skin is getting sensitive, red, and inflamed. Should I still use it? If not, how to remove hyperpigmentation from the penis skin? What about the wound scar? Will it shrink and disappear with time or there are other solutions? I need to know what I can do to remove both hyperpigmentation and wound scar from the penis skin. I have attached pictures for reference.



Welcome to

It is good that you have explained the condition in full detail and with good quality pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

First of all, the Hydroquinone used over the skin especially over the thin penile skin does have side effects.

I advise you not to use it for more than 15 days with a month's gap in between.

If it is along with any kind of steroid then not more than 10 days.

The scar seems to be still in an immature state.

I suggest the onion peel based ointment such as the Contractubex Gel should work. You can use it twice daily.

For more information consult a plastic surgeon online -->

Thank you doctor,

At what stage, can I engage in laser treatment for hyperpigmentation and scar removal? It has been six months and there is no improvement in pigmentation and scar. Should I go to a dermatologist for a laser therapy?



Welcome back to

I would ask you to wait for at least one to one and half years.

Actually, it takes two years for any scar to mature and come to a pre-injury state.

Only then you can come to know what is the amount of deviation you have got from normalcy.

After that, you can consult for laser therapy if required.

For more information consult a plastic surgeon online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What should I do to reduce the hyperpigmentation and dark circles under my eyes?

I am using Bepanthen and sunscreen ... Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen throughout the day ...   Read full

Kindly suggest some solution for sudden knee pain.

.. writing to this platform. You have written sudden onset pain in the knee region since morning with no history of any injury to the knee. Also, I want to actually know whether there are any associated signs or symptoms of any inflammation like ski...   Read full

Please advise the best treatment for heel pain.

.. mentioned pain in the area of heel region, which has been marked by you and it looks like plantar fasciitis, which has already been mentioned to you. Just let me know whether there are any other signs and symptoms of inflammation like skin redness...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.