Q. Can Hydroquinone use on the penis cause the skin to be sensitive and red?

Eighteen months ago, I had a reconstructive surgery on my penis to treat penile curvature. Two weeks post operation, hematoma exploded so I got wound breakdown. Skin necrosis ensued and I lost a small part of my penile skin. No graft or flap was used. I now have hyperpigmentation and very noticeable wound scar. For the hyperpigmentation, I have been using Hydroquinone and Mederma Intense Patch. I have been using it for two weeks. There is an improvement but the skin is getting sensitive, red, and inflamed. Should I still use it? If not, how to remove hyperpigmentation from the penis skin? What about the wound scar? Will it shrink and disappear with time or there are other solutions? I need to know what I can do to remove both hyperpigmentation and wound scar from the penis skin. I have attached pictures for reference.

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar
MCH. PLASTIC SURGERY., MS. GENERAL SURGERY ., MBBS
Cosmetology, General Surgery, Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic

It is good that you have explained the condition in full detail and with good quality pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

First of all, the Hydroquinone used over the skin especially over the thin penile skin does have side effects.

I advise you not to use it for more than 15 days with a month's gap in between.

If it is along with any kind of steroid then not more than 10 days.

The scar seems to be still in an immature state.

I suggest the onion peel based ointment such as the Contractubex Gel should work. You can use it twice daily.

For more information consult a plastic surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/plastic-surgeon

At what stage, can I engage in laser treatment for hyperpigmentation and scar removal? It has been six months and there is no improvement in pigmentation and scar. Should I go to a dermatologist for a laser therapy?

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

I would ask you to wait for at least one to one and half years.

Actually, it takes two years for any scar to mature and come to a pre-injury state.

Only then you can come to know what is the amount of deviation you have got from normalcy.

After that, you can consult for laser therapy if required.

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Plastic Surgeon »