Q. What are the long-term effects of using antiperspirant for facial hyperhidrosis?

Dr. Shama Naaz

I have facial hyperhidrosis, and I have been looking into products to combat this. I am currently using Neat 3B Face Saver Gel, a facial antiperspirant. I apply this before my moisturizer and makeup. I do notice a bit of difference. However, I would like it to be far more effective. Is there a cleanser or something I could use before application that may help this product further penetrate my skin and give me better results? I have also used SweatBlock in the past, but it is not meant for facial use and is very rough and irritating to my face. I have also tried Carpe facial lotion, but it does not include the antiperspirant aspect, so I find it works the worst of the three. I have also previously taken Glycopyrrolate orally, but the side effects (blurry vision, severe dehydration) make me extremely hesitant to restart using it, and weirdly enough, it was not consistently effective for me despite taking it under the same conditions each day. I feel much more comfortable using topical products, but I would love some insight or suggestions on making the Neat 3B Face Saver Gel more effective or other options that you know. How worried should I be about the long-term effects of using an antiperspirant on my face? Will this cause early wrinkles or signs of aging? Thank you.

#

Hyperhidrosis can be treated in different ways,

• Over-the-counter or prescription-strength antiperspirants that contain Aluminum.
  • Medications called anticholinergics that affect the nerve signals to sweat glands. You may take them in pill form or apply them on your skin as a cream or with a medicated wipe.
  • Botox injections can be used to decrease the activity of nerves affecting the sweat glands. It may take several treatments. In some cases, anti-anxiety medications are provided to relieve stress (after proper evaluation).
  • There is an astringent containing Tannic acid, which also helps relieve sweating.

|