Q. Can I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at 32 years of age?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am a male of 32 years old with a weight of 183 kilograms and a height of five feet ten inches. I have an LV mass of 176 g/m2 and an RWT of 0.67. I do not have high blood pressure. What is the cause?

#

I have reviewed your echocardiography report and I am willing to explain the cause for the increased LV (left ventricular) mass value. It can be due to true hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or due to phenocopy. A cardiac magnetic resonance examination has to be done. You need to discuss this with your doctor.

Does cardiomyopathy cause a wall thickness of greater than 1.5 millimeters?

#

There are several HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) variants according to the penetrance and expressivity genetics. On the other side, the sensitivity of the imagine test needs to be improved. Echocardiography can miss the detection of certain hypertrophic location. Cardiac MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) seems to be a gold standard test for studying these cardiomyopathies. Several phenocopies may mimic hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

|