Q. Can children develop hypertrophic scars after scar excision?

Answered by Dr. Sandeep Dawre and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hypertrophic Scar or Scar Revision Surgery? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My son has one somewhat large scar on the right side of his neck and a small scar on the left side of his neck from a burn injury since 10 months ago. He has received three laser treatments, and it looks much, much better. My son is almost 2 years old. Our plastic surgeon would do a scar excision if we wanted him too (or more laser treatments) but is leaving it up to us. I have read that other plastic surgeons say to wait until the teens so that the natural growth factors produced by a child do not result in a more hypertrophic scar after scar excision. Are children really more susceptible to the formation of hypertrophic scars after scar excision? I am trying to determine if scar excision is really the best option for him.