Q. Can children develop hypertrophic scars after scar excision?

Dr. Sandeep Dawre
Published on Dec 18, 2018

My son has one somewhat large scar on the right side of his neck and a small scar on the left side of his neck from a burn injury since 10 months ago. He has received three laser treatments, and it looks much, much better. My son is almost 2 years old. Our plastic surgeon would do a scar excision if we wanted him too (or more laser treatments) but is leaving it up to us. I have read that other plastic surgeons say to wait until the teens so that the natural growth factors produced by a child do not result in a more hypertrophic scar after scar excision. Are children really more susceptible to the formation of hypertrophic scars after scar excision? I am trying to determine if scar excision is really the best option for him.

Dr. Sandeep Dawre

Cosmetology General Surgery Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic
#

Your son has a post-burn hypertrophic scar over the submandibular region.

Post-burn hypertrophic scar.

It is better not to do any surgery now for the scar as if the surgery is done, there will be a risk of hypertrophic scar again. This scar will improve over the period. Scar revision can be done later if wanted when the patient is a little grown-up.

To improve scar, the following can be done.
Scar massage, silicone gel to be applied twice a day, pressure garment if possible to reduce the chance of hypertrophic scarring.

I have a small acne like thing on chest. Is it related to cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have attached a picture which is on my chest for about two years. It has not given me any problem. Around two years back I had a small acne like thing on my chest right side and it became like this ever since. The dermatologists I have visited have said it is nothing to worry about, ...  Read Full »

What are the treatments available to remove scars permanently?

Query: Hello doctor, I met with an accident one and a half years ago. I was severely injured but got cured. The problem now is the scars are raised and there is no hair growth in that area. The scar is just below my nose. What are the treatments available to remove scars completely? I have attached a pi...  Read Full »

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now