Login      Sign Up

Q. Can children develop hypertrophic scars after scar excision?


Hello doctor,

My son has one somewhat large scar on the right side of his neck and a small scar on the left side of his neck from a burn injury since 10 months ago. He has received three laser treatments, and it looks much, much better. My son is almost 2 years old. Our plastic surgeon would do a scar excision if we wanted him too (or more laser treatments) but is leaving it up to us. I have read that other plastic surgeons say to wait until the teens so that the natural growth factors produced by a child do not result in a more hypertrophic scar after scar excision. Are children really more susceptible to the formation of hypertrophic scars after scar excision? I am trying to determine if scar excision is really the best option for him.

Related Questions:
How to remove hyperpigmented scar?
I have a small acne like thing on chest. Is it related to cancer?
Why are there acne scars and acne pits on my cheeks with uneven skin tone?

Dr. Sandeep Dawre
Cosmetology, General Surgery, Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your son has a post-burn hypertrophic scar over the submandibular region.

Probable diagnosis:

Post-burn hypertrophic scar.

Treatment plan:

It is better not to do any surgery now for the scar as if the surgery is done, there will be a risk of hypertrophic scar again. This scar will improve over the period. Scar revision can be done later if wanted when the patient is a little grown-up.

Preventive measures:

To improve scar, the following can be done.
Scar massage, silicone gel to be applied twice a day, pressure garment if possible to reduce the chance of hypertrophic scarring.

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

I have a small acne like thing on chest. Is it related to cancer?
Query: Hello doctor, I have attached a picture which is on my chest for about two years. It has not given me any problem. Around two years back I had a small acne like thing on my chest right side and it became like this ever since. The dermatologists I have visited have said it is nothing to worry about, ...  Read Full »
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is there any complaint in it? Do you have any pain or burning sensation or itching? Revert back with the asked details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »
What is the best treatment to remove accident scars on the face?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a hypertrophic scar on the left side of my face due to a road traffic accident from five years ago. I had undergone a scar revision surgery four years back but, no improvement was seen. So, I had a Z-plasty surgery two years back with a 40 % improvement. But, it is still visib...  Read Full »
Dr. Vikram Kumar Raja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can try fractional RF (radio-frequency) or laser resurfacing for further improvement. But do not expect complete removal of the scar. A scar once formed will remain forever. You cannot remove it completely. It can only be made less conspicuous at a visible distanc...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Can mild back pain be due to cyst in kidney?
Hi doctor, Last year when I had tested for routine medical they found a small stone in kidney. I took Cystone for a mon ...Read more »
Why am I having low sex drive with erectile dysfunction?
Hi doctor, I am 37 years old male and for the last few months my sex drive is getting lower and currently, it is at its ...Read more »
What Are Varicose Veins?
Do you have large and ugly looking veins in your legs? These can be treated without surgery by using Laser, and you can ...Read more »

Also Read Answers From