Q. What is the best treatment to remove accident scars on the face?

Dr. Vikram Kumar R
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a hypertrophic scar on the left side of my face due to a road traffic accident from five years ago. I had undergone a scar revision surgery four years back but, no improvement was seen. So, I had a Z-plasty surgery two years back with a 40 % improvement. But, it is still visible and I am very conscious about it. Can this be improved further?

Dr. Vikram Kumar R

Cosmetology Hair Transplant Surgeon Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• You can try fractional RF (radio-frequency) or laser resurfacing for further improvement. But do not expect complete removal of the scar.
  • A scar once formed will remain forever. You cannot remove it completely. It can only be made less conspicuous at a visible distance which depends on the skin-type also. I need to see the scar to be able to comment further.

For more information consult a plastic surgeon online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/plastic-surgeon

| 

Thank you for the reply. I am dark-skinned. I am not expecting a 100 % result. More than 50 % will be satisfactory for me. I am attaching a picture of the scar.

Dr. Vikram Kumar R

#

• I saw your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Please consider the following:
  1. Laser resurfacing.
  2. Dermabrasion.
  • In both the treatment options, you will have to be monitored after the procedure, so that you do not develop any pigmentation in that area.

|