Q. I am hypothyroid and feel like my neck and vocal cords are squeezed. Why?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Nov 07, 2019

I have hypothyroid for three years, and I am taking Eltroxin 100 mg one tablet daily before two hours to my breakfast. But sometimes I feel pain over and around my thyroid gland. I feel like my neck and vocal throat are squeezed and my voice is dumpy. Please suggest any medicine or treatment for pain and vocal problem.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Your problem may be or may not be related to the thyroid problem. If your thyroid gland is enlarging it may compress your vocal cords and food pipe and cause your problems like vocal throat squeezed, dumpy voice. In this case, you need to get an ultrasound of your neck. This will confirm your diagnosis.

The other possibility is some problem inside your throat like vocal cord nodules, or ulcer, or mass, etc. For this, you need to get upper GI (gastro intestinal tract) endoscopy to know what has happened. I advise first you go for ultrasound of your neck first as it is non-invasive, then revert back to me with the report.

| 

I have recently gained weight. Should my Eltroxin dose be increased?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and was prescribed Eltroxin 50 mcg. I recently gained 4 kg and have not been able to lose them. I am suffering from chronic constipation and I feel drowsy and tired all the time. I did some blood tests fo...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

Am I taking the right dosage of Eltroxin as per my reports?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 33 years of age. Since four years, I am taking Eltroxin thyroid medicine. For one week I stopped taking medicine. Then I did a thyroid test. At that time, my TSH levels came above the normal levels. I then took a dose of 100 mcg for a month. I again checked my TSH levels. It cam...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now