Q. I am hypothyroid and feel like my neck and vocal cords are squeezed. Why?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Nov 07, 2019

I have hypothyroid for three years, and I am taking Eltroxin 100 mg one tablet daily before two hours to my breakfast. But sometimes I feel pain over and around my thyroid gland. I feel like my neck and vocal throat are squeezed and my voice is dumpy. Please suggest any medicine or treatment for pain and vocal problem.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Your problem may be or may not be related to the thyroid problem. If your thyroid gland is enlarging it may compress your vocal cords and food pipe and cause your problems like vocal throat squeezed, dumpy voice. In this case, you need to get an ultrasound of your neck. This will confirm your diagnosis.

The other possibility is some problem inside your throat like vocal cord nodules, or ulcer, or mass, etc. For this, you need to get upper GI (gastro intestinal tract) endoscopy to know what has happened. I advise first you go for ultrasound of your neck first as it is non-invasive, then revert back to me with the report.

I have recently gained weight. Should my Eltroxin dose be increased?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and was prescribed Eltroxin 50 mcg. I recently gained 4 kg and have not been able to lose them. I am suffering from chronic constipation and I feel drowsy and tired all the time. I did some blood tests fo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The labs and symptoms are consistent with hypothyroidism.  For your weight, you can safely take 75 micrograms Eltroxin (Levothyroxine). Although the symptoms can take four to six weeks to improve. I recommend another TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) test in four week...  Read Full

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your symptoms are not related to thyroid issue. You could be having a viral infection. So, I suggest you to take tablet Zerodol P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) three times a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the me...  Read Full

Am I taking the right dosage of Eltroxin as per my reports?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 33 years of age. Since four years, I am taking Eltroxin thyroid medicine. For one week I stopped taking medicine. Then I did a thyroid test. At that time, my TSH levels came above the normal levels. I then took a dose of 100 mcg for a month. I again checked my TSH levels. It cam...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and went through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From what you have mentioned, it appears that you have hypothyroidism. I saw your results, and I would recommend that you take 75 mcg Eltroxin (Levothyroxine) daily. C...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now