Q. Is it possible to conceive with hypothyroidism?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I have hypothyroidism and I take 50 mcg tablets every weekend. Can I conceive even though I have this condition?

#

Thyroid abnormalities have many side effects related to fertility but the patient conceives and gets a healthy outcome as well if we take proper care and regular continuous treatment and strict check on it. Thyroid can cause fertility issues, miscarriages, congenital anomalies, etc., so it is better to try for conception as soon as possible otherwise with age complications increase. Try to have a strict check and control over thyroid and keep in touch with your physician.

Thyroid levels for normal females also fluctuate in pregnancy. So just prepare the body for pregnancy. Have complete treatment of any health issue you have. Have a balanced diet, weight, and BMI. Have folic acid 5 mg. Partner also needs to have a balanced health condition. Have early booking and continuous regular antenatal visits in the maternal medicine antenatal clinic. Serial scans also need to be done for fetal well being and to diagnose any abnormality.

In pregnancy, Propylthiouracil is more preferable. Better to have a double marker test at 13 weeks. Continue folic acid, iron and calcium supplements. Balanced diet, weight and BMI matter. I hope things would be better if given proper attention.

Regular checkups with physicians. Try to conceive as soon as possible. Sex in the fertile period. Complete attention on physical condition for both the partners.

Quit recreational drugs and have recreational activities. Have complete treatment of all health issue, if you and your partner have.

|