Q. Is Thyroxine an effective medication for under-functioning of the thyroid?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2022

I am a 46-year-old female, and I am pre-menopausal. My present weight is 54.5 kg, and my height is 158 cm. Eight years ago, I have been diagnosed with under-functioning of my thyroid and since then I have been taking the medication, Thyroup. I started this medication at 25 mcg. But, as the dosage was unable to keep my TSH level within normal limits, doctors increased the dosage. Gradually, the dosage increased from 25 mcg daily to 150 mcg daily. I got my blood tested yesterday and again I found that TSH was still high. I do not know if the dosage is still to be increased or changed or something else has to be done. I feel there are hormonal disturbances at this age. I feel I have pain in my legs and heels. I experience symptoms of indigestion and difficult to control my weight. I have stomachache very often, more particularly when I eat a banana, whether half-ripe or ripe. I also have stiffness in my shoulders. I request you to advise me in this regard.

#

I just read your query.

1. From what you have mentioned, it appears that you have hypothyroidism.
  2. From seeing your recent TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) values in your recent reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), I suggest that you must increase the dose of Thyroup (Thyroxine) to 175 mcg once daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and take the medicines with their consent.
  3. Repeat your thyroid function test after six weeks, and we will review again.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

Can you suggest any remedy for stomach ache and stiffness in shoulders?

#

1. It would be better if you could tell more about your stomach ache. Nonetheless, I suggest you can still take tablet Hyoscine 10 mg once a day as and when needed.
  2. For stiffness in the neck, I suggest you take capsule Relaxon (Chlorzoxazone 250 mg + Paracetamol 300 mg) twice a day for three to five days. Apply Diclofenac gel over it as well thrice a day as long as necessary. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.
  3. I presume that you are not pregnant.

Hope you find my advice beneficial.

Good luck.

|