Q. Is tablet Thyroxine enough to cure hypothyroidism?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have hypothyroidism. My TSH level is 124.5, T3 - 3.16 and T4 - 45.6. My doctor advised me to take Thyroxine 100 mg tablet two times a day. I am taking that right now. Is Thyroxine enough to cure hypothyroidism? Do I need any other medical attention? But, I feel better now after taking Thyroxine. Please guide.

#

• You should take it in the right way that is early morning in empty stomach and do not take anything within two hours after that.
  • Repeat the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) in six weeks. No need for T3 (triiodothyronine) or T4 (thyroxine) since it lags behind and will give you wrong information.
  • Your dose is high and you should not be taking it twice daily. You should be taking 132 mcg a day.
  • I would suggest taking 100 mcg plus half the other pill at the same time as discussed above.

TSH only in six weeks.

150 mcg a day of Thyroxine in the morning.

Revert back in six weeks with TSH report to an endocrinologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|