Q. Is my daughter's high TSH level linked to our vegan diet?

Published on Nov 21, 2017

My family and I have gone vegan three months ago. We did blood tests this week to check if we are healthy and my three children show a low level of hematocrit count, although their RBC is within limits. My youngest (2 and a half years) has also a high TSH level (5.2 mIU/L). They are suggesting to repeat a blood test in six months. Is this linked to diet?

Hematology Pathology
#

I have gone through their reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Her hematocrit value is borderline low. Her Hb (hemoglobin) and RBC (red blood cells) values are within limit. So, for that, just now no active treatment is needed as it is not a clear-cut anemia case.
  • Her TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) value is slightly elevated, but free T4 is completely normal. So, hypothyroidism cannot be ruled out at this stage and it is better to repeat it as advised and in the repeat report, mostly the TSH value will be within the limit.

Take care. Hope this will help you.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

Thanks for your answer. I wanted to know how I can improve her results through diet.

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome back icliniq.com.

• The TSH value is slightly high, but free T4 is normal. So, it is not hypothyroidism and you have to repeat the test as advised. A non-thyroid illness (even an infection) can affect the TSH report. So, a repeat TSH is advised.
  • As such, no special precautions are needed in the diet. But broccoli, cabbage, and spinach can be avoided as they can affect the thyroid hormone production.
  • Give her nutritious food including fruits and other vegetables.
  • Use iodized salt in cooking.
  • No extra precautions in diet needed just now as per my opinion.

Take care.

| 

I swallowed Povidone iodine mouthwash by mistake. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old. I drank Povidone-iodine germicide gargle 10 ml in the morning and 10 ml in the afternoon. Will it affect my health as I am suffering from gastritis? I am also taking other medicines for acid reflux and my other question is that I feel a burning sensation in my left...  Read Full »

My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed hypothyroid. I am currently taking WP Thyroid. I have taken Armour and Nature-thyroid. They all make me sick to my stomach. I tried adding generic T3 and it made my symptoms worse, that is, hair loss, cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue, GERD, and constipatio...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now