Q. Will hypothyroidism cause low milk production in a new mother?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 16, 2020

I am breastfeeding mother with TSH level 4.83 in the last trimester which is I suppose hypothyroidism. My milk supply is low. I want to know if TSH value can affect milk supply. I am on 50 mcg Eltroixin dosage now. If it does affect, I want to know what should be the normal values for TSH, free T3, free T4 value for breastfeeding mother. And if I increase the dosage, does it affect my baby through breast milk. Please help.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you mentioned it appears that you are being treated for hypothyroidism since the last trimester of your pregnancy although the TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) you mentioned was not that high as to begin therapy but still I am not aware as to what were your T3 and T4 levels at that time as well.

I understand that you are breastfeeding and that your milk is not enough for the baby, well that is not related to hypothyroidism but related to your diet and fluid intake. The levels for a lactating mother is the same as a non-pregnant woman. I would still advise you to repeat your thyroid function test after delivery to know what are your levels now. Please do not increase the dose without any tests and no, it does not affect the baby adversely.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Can hypothyroidism be cured with only ayurvedic medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if my hypothyroidism can be cured without taking the synthetic hormones, through Ayurveda only. In the allopathic approach, the hormone needs to be taken for the rest of one's life and I am a bit scared of it. It is possible I may also be diabetic and will need to ...  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

How can I increase my breast milk production?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a 1-month-old baby. I am giving breast milk and formula milk to my baby due to insufficient breast milk. However, my breast milk was not too low. I used to provide formula feed for one or two feeds. Before three days back, I was sick, and so I could not breastfeed my baby for...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now