Q. Is Laparoscopic hysterectomy test necessary for uterine fibroid?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My spouse aged 47 years has been advised laparoscopic hysterectomy as a fibroid of 80 x 70 mm is observed in USG of the uterus. She is having irregular periods from the last 9 to 10 months. Her hemoglobin has reduced to 9.5 g/dL. Is this a sufficient and strong ground for a hysterectomy? If not, what is the alternative treatment?

#

Yes, this is sufficient ground for hysterectomy, and I think you should go ahead.

Since she has a symptomatic fibroid, she will need definitive treatment. There are medicines available, but they are not very effective. They may just keep symptoms under control, and it needs to be taken lifelong.

Secondly, removing the uterus treats the problem forever, eliminates the risk of future malignancies like cervical cancer and other associated problem. Also, she has completed her childbearing age, so removing uterus will not affect her adversely.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Please suggest medicines for fibroids.

Query: Hello doctor, My sister aged 41 years is having painful periods, heavy bleeding, left lower back pain, lower abdomen pain and difficulty in breathing immediately after taking food. She is having these difficulties nearly for the past six months. The latest finding of doctors here is fibroids in the...  Read Full »

I have two fibroids about 5 to 6 cm. Could that cause preterm labor?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a preterm labor and my baby was born at 27 weeks but unfortunately had a brain bleed and passed away. I have two fibroids about 5 to 6 cm. Could that cause preterm labor?  Read Full »

My mom had hysterectomy for adenocarcinoma. Is radiation therapy compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother had complex endometrial hyperplasia for which surgery was fixed and last week, hysterectomy along with salpingo-oophorectomy and pelvic lymphonodectomy was done. After surgery, the parts were sent for histopathology. It was diagnosed as stage-2 endometrial adenocarcinoma. The...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»