Q. Is Laparoscopic hysterectomy test necessary for uterine fibroid?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My spouse aged 47 years has been advised laparoscopic hysterectomy as a fibroid of 80 x 70 mm is observed in USG of the uterus. She is having irregular periods from the last 9 to 10 months. Her hemoglobin has reduced to 9.5 g/dL. Is this a sufficient and strong ground for a hysterectomy? If not, what is the alternative treatment?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Yes, this is sufficient ground for hysterectomy, and I think you should go ahead.

Since she has a symptomatic fibroid, she will need definitive treatment. There are medicines available, but they are not very effective. They may just keep symptoms under control, and it needs to be taken lifelong.

Secondly, removing the uterus treats the problem forever, eliminates the risk of future malignancies like cervical cancer and other associated problem. Also, she has completed her childbearing age, so removing uterus will not affect her adversely.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|