Q. I am having cramps in my lower abdomen after taking I-pill. Why?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 21 year old female. I took an I-pill 12 days back, and since then I have a cramp in my lower abdomen. It feels as if I will get my periods, but still, I did not get it.

#

I-pill only makes the hormonal environment unsuitable for the embryo to get attached to the uterus lining. It makes the inner uterine lining thicker, which may not shed immediately.

If you have never had a normal delivery before, your cervical opening will be very narrow. So, the thicker inner lining of your uterus is trying to come out of the same narrow cervical canal which is causing the severe cramps and lower abdominal discomfort.

The effectiveness of I-pill depends on, after how many hours of unprotected sex you had the pill and in which half of the menstrual cycle you were in. It is most effective if taken within 72 hours, but the earlier, the better.

For now, I suggest you wait, but if you do not have periods past your due date, consult a gynecologist and get a pregnancy test done.

It is always advisable to have sexual intercourse using protective barriers like a condom, oral contraceptive pills, NuvaRing (vaginal ring), implants, etc.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|