Q. I have brown spotting after taking I-pill. Is it my period?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 31, 2018

I took an I-pill at 12 hours post intercourse 10 days ago. Now, I just see a minor brown spotting. My period is due. I am unsure if the brown spotting is my period. Or am I pregnant?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

• You have missed mentioning the date of your last periods. Nevertheless, there are fewer chances that you will get pregnant.
  • If your periods are delayed by two to three days, please get beta hCG (beta-human chorionic gonadotropin) to rule out pregnancy.
  • Please try to use regular contraception as I-pill is for emergency only. It can disrupt or disturb your cycle.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

My last period was on the 23rd of last month. Can you tell me what the mild brown discharge is? Is it my period or the pill? With this date, do you think pregnancy is possible?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• A brown discharge is most probably due to the pill. As I wrote earlier, there is an almost 97 % chance that you will not be pregnant. A failure at the rate of 3 % is there. So, if you get overdue by even two days, get a BHCG done.

With brown discharge, no pregnancy will occur. So, do not get tensed.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »

Why do I have brown discharge before getting periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a brown discharge, and my dates came. What is that brown discharge?  Read Full »

Having PCOS, How to regularize the menstrual cycle?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I am really worried and fed up with my fat thighs and hips. As I am suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome and I used to miss my menses. Now, my menstruation is regular. But, whenever I skip physical exercise I am sure that I will miss my menses. I think these all...  Read Full »