Q. I have brown spotting after taking I-pill. Is it my period?

Answered by
Dr. Sujata Mittal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Jul 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 31, 2018

Hello doctor,

I took an I-pill at 12 hours post intercourse 10 days ago. Now, I just see a minor brown spotting. My period is due. I am unsure if the brown spotting is my period. Or am I pregnant?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Hello,

Welcome to icliniq.com

  • You have missed mentioning the date of your last periods. Nevertheless, there are fewer chances that you will get pregnant.
  • If your periods are delayed by two to three days, please get beta hCG (beta-human chorionic gonadotropin) to rule out pregnancy.
  • Please try to use regular contraception as I-pill is for emergency only. It can disrupt or disturb your cycle.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you doctor,

My last period was on the 23rd of last month. Can you tell me what the mild brown discharge is? Is it my period or the pill? With this date, do you think pregnancy is possible?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Hello,

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • A brown discharge is most probably due to the pill. As I wrote earlier, there is an almost 97 % chance that you will not be pregnant. A failure at the rate of 3 % is there. So, if you get overdue by even two days, get a BHCG done.

With brown discharge, no pregnancy will occur. So, do not get tensed.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers


My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full >>


Dr. Anindya Das
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.As you can say, the normal beta hCG level is less than 5. So, you should wait for two days and repeat the test.You should do ultrasound pelvis, but after beta hCG report is available.Revert after two days with the report to an obstetrician and gynecologist online --> htt...  Read Full

Why do I have brown discharge before getting periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a brown discharge, and my dates came. What is that brown discharge?  Read Full >>


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are getting brown discharge regularly before getting periods, it is harmless. This is a normal phenomenon, which occurs due to hormonal changes. Similar hormone changes may occur during early pregnancy, and one may get such brown discharge, but there will be no p...  Read Full

Having PCOS, How to regularize the menstrual cycle?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I am really worried and fed up with my fat thighs and hips. As I am suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome and I used to miss my menses. Now, my menstruation is regular. But, whenever I skip physical exercise I am sure that I will miss my menses. I think these all...  Read Full >>


Dr. Sameer Kumar
Family Physician, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are a case of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which brings obesity and insulin resistance along with it. Consult a doctor for medical advice to lose weight and improve insulin resistance to allow regular menses to occur. Also it is important to maintain hea...  Read Full

Popular

Popular

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.

Fee:  

 


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.