Q. I have brown spotting after taking I-pill. Is it my period?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I took an I-pill at 12 hours post intercourse 10 days ago. Now, I just see a minor brown spotting. My period is due. I am unsure if the brown spotting is my period. Or am I pregnant?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

• You have missed mentioning the date of your last periods. Nevertheless, there are fewer chances that you will get pregnant.
  • If your periods are delayed by two to three days, please get beta hCG (beta-human chorionic gonadotropin) to rule out pregnancy.
  • Please try to use regular contraception as I-pill is for emergency only. It can disrupt or disturb your cycle.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My last period was on the 23rd of last month. Can you tell me what the mild brown discharge is? Is it my period or the pill? With this date, do you think pregnancy is possible?

#

• A brown discharge is most probably due to the pill. As I wrote earlier, there is an almost 97 % chance that you will not be pregnant. A failure at the rate of 3 % is there. So, if you get overdue by even two days, get a BHCG done.

With brown discharge, no pregnancy will occur. So, do not get tensed.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|