Q. Acute food poisoning provoked my IBS condition. Will Rifaximin help?

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 13, 2021

Eight months ago, I had an acute food poisoning case. My symptoms were cramping, pain, weight loss, and diarrhea. I ate food that was left outside the fridge for more than eight hours. The symptoms persisted for a few weeks, and then I went to a doctor who did a colonoscopy and stool sample test. He diagnosed me with IBS and excluded IBD. No other parasites have been observed in the exam. For a long time, I have had IBS and successfully dealt with it by taking one course of Rifaximin for ten days and followed with probiotics. I never had IBS symptoms until this food poisoning episode. I still have symptoms for seven months now, and nothing seems to work. I did a course of Rifaximin, which worked well for a few days, and the situation got back to terrible. I did try probiotics in vein. I am thinking of doing a test for SIBO, E.coli, H.pylori, and other parasites and then another course of Rifaxmin and Neomycin. Please advise on what you think. Are these tests advisable? Please suggest a potential solution.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). They are looks normal.

But hemogram report showing iron deficiency even though hemoglobin is normal. IBS is treated with diet modification with regular exercise and yoga. IBS may aggravated by consumption of caffeinated drinks, gluten contain food, lactose contain food and alcohol. Also processed sugar, bakery products precipitate the condition. Stress is the one of the precipitating factor for IBS. Avoid the above foods, and high fodmap diet is useful.

Use tablet Normaxin twice a day after food for five days. Continue probiotics like that only. L glutamine is useful to regenerate the epithelium of the gut. Mix 5 mg of l glutamine power with water drink it. Use apple cider vinegar 10 ml with lukewarm water with empty stomach twice a day give great relief. Please review after two weeks. Take care.

|