Q. My doctor prescribed Dogmatil 50 mg for IBS. Should I be taking it?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2020
Hi Dr. I have mild lower back abdominal pain, lower back pain , and pressure on the bladder area. My local dr. diagnosed me with IBS after doing CT Scan (ethnography oral and IV contrast) , urine, stool and blood test. The CT scan showed everything was normal and urine, stool and blood tests also normal.
He said take these 2 medicines.
1 - duSPATALIN 200mg twice daily, and
2 - DOGMATIL 50mg twice daily. When I read the side affects of DOGMATIL 50mg, it has a lot of side affects for which I am a bit scared of.
My question is should I be taking DOGMATIL 50mg?
#

Hello. I welcome you to icliniq.

Well Dogmatil is not otherwise indicated in irritable bowel syndrome, it is better given and effective if someone who has upper gastrointestinal tract symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, or early stomach fullness, frequent belching. IBS is more a problem with small and large bowel, not stomach otherwise. So, since you do not have any symptoms suggestive of stomach involvement, I suggest you to refrain from use of Dogmatil.

Duspatalin however can be used and very well tolerated among IBS patients. It is basically an anti spasmodic agent, it reduces pain, but can cause constipation. You should remember this while its use.

I hope this serve the purpose. Take care and have a good day

|