Q. Kindly advise the treatment for severe constipation.

I am 22 years old and severely constipated. I have a bowel movement once every week and a half, or even two weeks. I eat normal foods as any 22 year old would. I love fruits and drink lots of water, etc. I am on my fourth day of Miralax and nothing has happened. The only thing that has worked is when I got an enema in the ER.

My biggest issue right now is excessive gas. I am a student. When I get nervous before a presentation in class, just being in class in general, I get excessive gas and it is so bad that it makes terrible noises and sends me running from the classroom. Then when I get out of the classroom, it is as if it goes away. So my anxiety before presentations I believe makes it worse, therefore my doctor prescribed Xanax .25 mg as needed before those events. However, I know that my constipation is contributing to this. I am in desperate need of a solution. My doctor wants me to get a colonoscopy. What foods and what can I take to help with my constipation and decrease gas during class so that I can focus and earn my degree.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

You seem to be suffering from an acid peptic disease associated with functional constipation. I would recommend you the following:

1. A combination of Pantoprazole and Levosulpride once daily. This would help you with bloating and reduce gurgling sounds.

2. To take syrup Lactulose 20 ml in the night.

3. To take smooth muscle relaxants like Mebeverine.

Another important aspect is that have you got your thyroid profile done?

|